4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Noob Brake pad and rotor install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Default Noob Brake pad and rotor install

So I order slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads from rotor pros, the quality is pretty sick, I had the hubs painted black. I initially had a powdering experience go bad, as shown here.

As you can see it turned out ****ty. So today I decided to change that with these rotors and pads.

The install start out promising, the damn E brake line is irritating though, got that bitch off eventually. I started with the rear like real men do heyo! Everything came off except that damn piston would not retract back. My noob *** didn't take the master cylinder cap off. Took me about an 1 1/2 till I noticed that SMH. After that the damn piston still wouldn't budge, after nearly giving up, I gave it a go and finally got that bitch to spin back in. **** ya! I got the pads in, put the rotor on to look like this.

Question, if I spray the hub black would that cause any issues? The rust colors looks bad, also, I'll paint the caliper bracket since it looks bad, but that's another day. I'm also thinking about spraying my spacers black as well. Good idea or no?

I ran out of time since I had to go to work but I think tomorrow will be tons smoother, except I'm not looking forward to putting the E brake back in place, any tips for that hoe? Lmk guys.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Why did you take the e-brake cable off?

Anyway, to get it back on, it's gonna be a bitch. Make sure the e-brake lever is released, obviously. Then you're pretty much gonna have to muscle it on. I've found an assortment of flat head screwdrivers and some small vice grips help, but there's really no easy way. You can try taking the caliper off and connecting the cable, and then re-install it. That should make it easier.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Xemeth
Why did you take the e-brake cable off?

Anyway, to get it back on, it's gonna be a bitch. Make sure the e-brake lever is released, obviously. Then you're pretty much gonna have to muscle it on. I've found an assortment of flat head screwdrivers and some small vice grips help, but there's really no easy way. You can try taking the caliper off and connecting the cable, and then re-install it. That should make it easier.
Oh I know it will be a pain to put back on, when I powder coated the hubs, I couldn't get to the second bracket bolt on the caliper because of it, but looking back at it now, when I attack the next caliper I may try n leave it on.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

I would only paint your calipers. You will never see the caliper bracket. The spacers? Use a High Temp paint (like caliper or header paint), but don't paint the mating surface (where wheel meets spacer). It doesn't take much to throw off the alignment of a wheel causing a wobble. Always take some light grit sand paper (120 or 180 grit) and clean all mating surfaces (wheel to spacer, and spacer to rotor) before remounting. Just added insurance for a wheel running true. Being brand new rotors, they will not need to be sanded.

As for your E-Brake? I would take the caliper back off. Should make it easier.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

thisssss isss crasssshhhhhh andddddd iiii canttttt dooo brakkeeees onnnnn my carrrrrrrr
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
thisssss isss crasssshhhhhh andddddd iiii canttttt dooo brakkeeees onnnnn my carrrrrrrr
lmao!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

This is CrAaaaaaaasHhhh annnnd thisssss iss Myyyyyy TunnnnNnnNel braaaaake videoooo
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

You guys crack me up lol. Serious question, am i going to have to bleed my brakes?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

as long as you didnt disconnect the hydraulic lines from your calipers there is no need to bleed them.
Dougie- go easy on crasshhhhhh, its not everyday you see nurses doing brake jobs on mustangs
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by kugzgt
as long as you didnt disconnect the hydraulic lines from your calipers there is no need to bleed them.
Dougie- go easy on crasshhhhhh, its not everyday you see nurses doing brake jobs on mustangs
Cool! Rears are done! On to front! Thissssss issss crassssssh annmddddd onnnnn toooooo the fronnnnnnntttt!

Quick Reply: Noob Brake pad and rotor install