4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Romer
I think I'm gonna have to side with uberstang here. I have now had my car tuned twice by reputable tuners over email and me dataloging and it has definetly not been easy and not just modifications to a base tune by far. My car had TFS heads, intake, blower and various cams and getting that crap to run anywhere near stock was not easy. Experience is everything.
What does "mail order" have to do with custom tuning?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im not talking about professional tuners, or tunning gurus, im talking about the average DIY mustang owner, which won't be able to tune a s/c car from scratch, you can regurgitate all the information that you have read on forums or sites, but you haven never tuned a supercharged car from scratch.
That comment screams that you have no clue what you're talking about. The forums I'm referring to are filled with DIY Mustang owners. You act like tuning a car takes years of schooling and knowledge that not everyone can obtain in their lifetime.

And for my own enjoyment please explain what you mean by tuning a car from scratch?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by DjBootleg813
Omg lol I gotta be honest its so annoying to see that my post have a bunch of responces but none of them answer my original question..
Originally Posted by cliffyk
from SCT's website:

For more information about tuning in general I recommend Greg Banish's book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning.
I'm just reposting this because it's clear you missed it...somehow
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
That comment screams that you have no clue what you're talking about. The forums I'm referring to are filled with DIY Mustang owners. You act like tuning a car takes years of schooling and knowledge that not everyone can obtain in their lifetime.

And for my own enjoyment please explain what you mean by tuning a car from scratch?
Im talking about a supercharger car without the box tune they come with, meaning an installed supercharger with a ford factory tune. I've gone to hundreds of car shows and cruises over the course of 10 plus years and I've never seen one FI mustang that was tuned by the owner using a wideband afr gauge, all have been tuned by a tunning shop or just using the box chips the supercharger came with, not a single one out of the thousands.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Im talking about a supercharger car without the box tune they come with, meaning an installed supercharger with a ford factory tune. I've gone to hundreds of car shows and cruises over the course of 10 plus years and I've never seen one FI mustang that was tuned by the owner using a wideband afr gauge, all have been tuned by a tunning shop or just using the box chips the supercharger came with, not a single one out of the thousands.
So why don't you think someone like me or you can't tune a car?

I thought you were a knowledgeable member and if you didn't know much about a topic you stayed out. Clearly, I was I wrong.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
So why don't you think someone like me or you can't tune a car?

I thought you were a knowledgeable member and if you didn't know much about a topic you stayed out. Clearly, I was I wrong.
I never claimed a knew how to tune cars, but this thread can come accross as you making it sound like its to easy to do, like do a little research and give it hell, which i truley beleive is NOT good advice whatsoever for people on a forum like this, can i researh and tune a car? Maybe if I looked into it im sure i can, but i opt to have mine done by one of the bogger names on the east coast. Making it sound like its so easy today just isnt a good idea, people can read that and be like "screw paying for a dyno tune since its so easy" next think you know kids slap on a supercharger install a wide band gauge plug a tuner in start changing some settings then Go and stomp it on the street wide open and next think u know cylinder start detonating and kablowie, out of a motor.

Last edited by uberstang1; 05-02-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I've seen way to many blow up mod motors because of poor tunning or box tunes to ever recommend someone trying to tune their own blown car unless they have alot of tunning expereince, its very easy to toast a mod motor alot of people right away try to blame it on stock internals and power but when u look at i further u can see lifted or damaged ringlands on the pistons point evidence to detonation even if you cant tell or feel it which 9 out of 10 times is a tunning issue, hence why some tuners go under and some get good reps.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I'm gonna have to agree with Cliffy on this one. Tuning a car is very easy. I tuned my car when it had 18lbs of boost with a hand held sct. It was a tune just to be able to drive it around and work out kinks before the dyno but it was good enough that I rolling into boost and the A/F was nice and safe.

I like dyno tuning because of what they were made for, to provide a safe environment to run the car and tune it. Tuning on the street is a bad idea only because of safety even tho you will get a 10x better tune by street tuning.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
I like dyno tuning because of what they were made for, to provide a safe environment to run the car and tune it. Tuning on the street is a bad idea only because of safety even tho you will get a 10x better tune by street tuning.
Sort of off topic but how much time doesn't it "generally" take to dyno tune?

There is a tuning place in Green Bay near me that charges $210/hr to "dyno tune" but says it can take 3 hours. Seems high to me, but what do I know. I have 0 experience.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I never claimed I knew how to tune cars
That didn't need to be said, it was apparent after reading your previous posts.

Funny you won't tune a car yet you'll tear a motor apart and not think twice about doing it. If you're scared to tune a car for fear of blowing it up I'm surprised you'd tear apart the heart of the engine. Are you afraid of having it blow up? Why not have a professional do it?

Quick Reply: Tuning help