4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

They'll fit on the stock bullitts 100%

You say you had a tough time finding the cobra brakes for under $400 for the calipers and brackets though? I bought brand new bullitt calipers/brackets/pads for $205 shipped from buyfordracing.com lol

A file or sand paper will remove the paint from the letters COBRA just fine. It'll look nice. I've done that before
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
They'll fit on the stock bullitts 100%

You say you had a tough time finding the cobra brakes for under $400 for the calipers and brackets though? I bought brand new bullitt calipers/brackets/pads for $205 shipped from buyfordracing.com lol

A file or sand paper will remove the paint from the letters COBRA just fine. It'll look nice. I've done that before
Thanks for the confirmation on fitting.

Still more expensive than what I got mine for Well, excluding the pads.

I'm curious though. I looked on buyfordracing.com and didn't see them. Can you link me the listing? Also, I wouldn't mind shopping for the rears.

Last edited by Shampue; 04-30-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shampue
Thanks for the confirmation on fitting.

Still more expensive than what I got mine for Well, excluding the pads.

I'm curious though. I looked on buyfordracing.com and didn't see them. Can you link me the listing? Also, I wouldn't mind shopping for the rears.
Well if you wanna compare pricing, I pieced together a full bullitt/mach1/cobra brake upgrade on all 4 corners with new pads all around and brand new front calipers for $375. Look around -- there are deals to be had.

I just searched the site and it seems that they took the front calipers off. Hmmm.

You know that bullitts and mach 1's have the same brakes as the cobras right?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
You know that bullitts and mach 1's have the same brakes as the cobras right?
I know they are the same size, but I specifically wanted the Cobra in raised letters on the calipers. I thought the Mach's and the Bullits were either plain or had a horse on them?

I looked daily for 4 weeks before I settled on the ones I bought from the GI Joe in Germany.

I'm not disappointed in the price I paid. I was just surprised when you said buyfordracing.com cause I was certain I checked there.

Also, the Hawk HPS pads are a little pricey. I could have dropped my overall investment if I went wither other pads.

Bought the Calipers over the internet (private seller); Pads from Discountbrakes.com; rotors/piston rebuild kits from rockauto.com and the brake lines from latemodelrestoration.com. Sure beats the stupid $1300 price tag the conversion kits sell for.

Edit: O, I think your buy for $375 is a hellova deal. All four corners? Rear cobra calipers & brackets on average are $275 right now. When did you do yours?

Last edited by Shampue; 04-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

you just need backing plates, brackets, pads and rotors for the rear. calipers are the same.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fink
you just need backing plates, brackets, pads and rotors for the rear. calipers are the same.
The rear calipers are the same on a GT and a cobra/mach?

I thought they would be bigger because the diameter of the rotors is bigger aren't they?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I did my rears when I had my gears installed bc the axles need to be pulled in order to get the moan braces on there. Killed 2 birds with one stone.

I ended up picking up the full rear kit for $75 used locally. Although the rotors are 11.65" as opposed to the GT's 10.5, you can use the GT caliper on the rears as long as you have the Mach/gt/cobra rear bracket (which looks cooler anyway)

As for the fronts. I meant that they are all the same visually. The cobras have raised letters (and some indented), the bullitts have a pony, and the machs have nothing. I think only the 04 cobras have larger pistons 40mm as opposed to all the others which have 38mm pistons. You wouldn't be able to feel that little of a difference anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Quick question.

I was under the impression that all 94-04 Cobra front calipers were the same, with minor exceptions like stamping.

The calipers I got were off a '97 Cobra. I need a Brake Hardware Kit, but this says 99-04.

Will it still fit? I have a feeling O'Reillys database isn't exactly 100% accurate
Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Brake upgrade done!

Here are some pictures.

I also decided to take the back brakes apart. I wire wheeled the rotors brackets and calipers. Painted the rotors and brackets black. Assembled the brakes and painted the calipers red to match the fronts.

Rear Brakes Before:

Rear Brakes After:

Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cool!!!

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade