4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help Please: Cobra Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Unhappy Help Please: Cobra Calipers

So a month or so ago I installed: 1994-04 Mustang SVE 13" Cobra Style Front Brake Kit from LRS.

I have loud exhaust and haven't really thought too much about this annoying squeek that keeps happen everytime I brake lightly, or normally. Hard braking I don't hear it. I also noticed squeeking when braking in reverse. So i finally took the time to put the car up on jacks and go through it. I can't figured it out. Took it into the shop just today and heres what happened:

The bottom retaining clip is shaky. Whenever the brake is applied it squeeks and the entire caliper shakes up and down. The shop guy said it's almost as if it's missing something. It's not (brakes) installed wrong. As he went through everything with a fine comb and it's all installed right expect for this squeek noise and the (both sides) calipers shakes. Now before anyone says anything I do realize that these are floating calipers and they're suppose to move.

But he drove around the parking as I watched to show me what he was talking about.... it's not normal.

And now I am at a lost. Completely... LRS is sending me some pics & I've talked with them on the phone maybe Im not explaining clearly, or I wasn't given all the pieces, or it's a faulty caliper? Im just on pins n needles only due to how important brakes are.

Help please.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

my car does the same thing. annoying rattle/chirp from the front brakes while moving.. but the instant you touch the pedal it goes away. i cant figure it out for the life of me either. I've scoured a bunch of places as well. many people say the pin is worn and the e-clip is too loose. but that shouldnt be your case. only thing i'd check on your is the hub to rotor mating surface, and make sure the rotor isnt warped at all
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Mines the opposite... it's under braking that I hear noise. Driving its fine. I just put on poweslot slotted rotors (same time) a month ago.

Question: What if I put a thin film of either ceramic brake lubricant or a moly based lubricant on or even lube the all the hardware and the back of the brake pad?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Did you do any kind of break in when you installed the calipers & pads?

That bed-in process includes several applications of the brakes from increasing speeds.

The first from 30 and braking firmly to 5
The second from 40 and braking firmly to 5
The third from 50 and braking firmly to 5
The fourth from 60 and braking firmly to 5

Never brake to a complete stop during the process. Doing so will leave an imprint of pad material on the rotor that will result in pulsation in the pedal. Could also cause your squeaking (that or crappy pads). Once complete, you should be able to smell the pad material getting hot.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

what brake pad are you using? usualy the more towrd a racing type compound you use the more noise you get whan brkaes are applied
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Hmm... So the caliper is visibly shaking??? Like...fore and aft? Or side to side?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Caliper bracket bolts arent coming loose are they, happened to me once then one of the bolts totally let loose and the whole brake assemply move fly up against the inside of the wheel hitting the brakes.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Caliper bracket bolts arent coming loose are they, happened to me once then one of the bolts totally let loose and the whole brake assemply move fly up against the inside of the wheel hitting the brakes.
Shadetree mechanic for yah...

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by BraMas
what brake pad are you using? usualy the more towrd a racing type compound you use the more noise you get whan brkaes are applied
What ever came with the kit from Late Model and its SVE calipers.

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Hmm... So the caliper is visibly shaking??? Like...fore and aft? Or side to side?
Yea, I haven't had time to vide but it happens only when the brake is applied in reverse or light tapping driving foward. Like up and down.... clicking noise.

No, it's sound. But I am planning on replacing the retaining pin. What do the anti-rattle clips look like? I was told by someone to check those too.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

That happened to me too after i painted the calipers on my car. Scariest crap when I was going sown the freeway at 70 and the left front wheel almost completely locked up.

I get a slight annoying noise like htat too. Ivetried everything, and cant figure out what it is. Ive learned to live with it, and plan on getting brembos off of a camaro ss and put them on my car. So I shouldnt have to worry about it after then.