Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Spiral534

Vehicle: 2004, Ford, Mustang GT
Default Fog light Switch

Hi all,

Pretty sure I will have to replace the fog light switch but wanted to check here first...when I press the switch, the light comes on and so do the fog lights. However, when I let go, it depresses and goes off..I took it out to try to figure out how to get it to click in place but I don't see any defects or any clips broken. Does the issue reside inside the switch itself and should I probably just buy a new one?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Spiral534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang GT Vert

Yes, id say replace the switch, its probably worn out internally. If your brave you may be able to take it apart though, see what going on in there.
Steeda CAI/ Borla Catback/Magnaflow Catted X/Mach1 Grille delete,chin spoiler/Brenspeed tune/Billet handles, switches, trim ring,Fuel door/Smoked Halo headlights with HID/Smoked LED taillights,3rd Brakelight,fogs/Simco gauges/AC overlay/tinted sidemarkers/BBKTB/trickflow plenum/riser/FRPP shift ****/24lb injectors/4.10's/Koni Shocks/Vogtland Springs/MGW Short shifter/Styling Bar
stevednmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

The switch has a toggle mechanism that functions via a movable contact, cam, and a finger from the push button itself.

Remove the switch from the center panel (you'll need to pul the panel) by depressing the two retainer leaf springs at the top and bottom:

Click the image to open in full size.

Then just pull the push button off the front of the switch.

These are the plunger and cam components of the toggle action:

Click the image to open in full size.

Squirt some WD-40 into the cam component of the toggle action, and blow it out gently with canned or low pressure air. Do this a couple times then align the push button and press it back into place switch. Now work the switch a few times and listen for a subtle "click" on every other action, if you hear the click the toggle lock is working again.

Since it doesn't work now this is one of those "nothing to loose and a lot to gain" situations...
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Spiral534

Thank you. I will try that today and let you all know.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Spiral534

That did not work. But thank you anyway. It was worth a shot. The switch can't be more than $40. letmegooglethatforyou.com! LOL! Take Care..
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 2003, 2005, 95, assembly, convertible, fog, indicator, light, mustang, replace, stalk, switch, test