4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

5.0 Coyote into New Edge swap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 Coyote into New Edge swap!

Hey Guys, does anybody know how difficult it would be or would it
be an easy swap to put a new coyote 5.0 engine into a 2003 GT automatic?

Ford Racing has the new Coyote 5.0 engine brand new for $6249. That would be a cheaper route than forging my 4.6 and buying supercharger.
Anyhow, Im about to sell my Altima and I would have enough $ to buy the engine, but Im curious what else would I need for the conversion? It says it engine mount and bellhousing are same as 4.6.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I just think it would be awesome to drop the 5.0 into my 03 GT and call it a day.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-6007-m50.htm

On a side note, would it be easier to drop into a 67 Mustang or would I need a ton of items for it to work?
Thanks again!

Last edited by supermario; 05-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes it can be done and latemodelrestoration sells most of the conversion kit needed.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

I wanted to do this swap into my 96 GT. It ends up being over 11k up to 15k . A few things I remember that you will need are a new oil pan, headers, relocate alternator, power steering bracket, relocate coolant reservoir, new k-member/a-arms/front coil overs, custom air intake, and pcm of course. From what I've read its a tuning nightmare. Theres a few write-ups floating around the web. I ended up buying a SCed 96 Cobra.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
BrightBlue00GT

Good timing for this thread. I've been thinking about attempting a new 5.0 swap for my 141K miler 2000 GT 4.6L 2V with the 1.7L KB TS blower. But, I am stationed in Korea and do not have a Mustang shop I can run to for help. Everything I've done to the car thus far I've done myself at the auto hobby shop on base. So, I would want to try and get as complete a kit/parts as possible before starting.

My 2000 GT still runs its original T45 tranny. I would probably want to join a T56 to the Coyote at the time of the swap, so another parts list/kit needed.

I've dealt with a lot of company's in ordering parts and having them mailed here, KB being probably the most technical of the group (others just parts stores). For a project like this I would need a good company to work with to help put together a good list of kits/parts and who is good to work with remotely. Any good referrals you guys can think of?

Lethal Performance?
LateModelRestoration?
DSS?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

supermario..... DON'T do this, if you live in Cali and expect to pass smog

I looked into this option quite extensively and your car would have to be smogged to 2012 standards! This means 100% of your smog items would have to meet this standard. The power steering is electric, but can be done, with enough work. It uses a dry-sump oil system and bunch of other stuff.

Can be done, but will cost you bigger $$$ in the end
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

This is the best way to look at this.....$10-15K vs 32-40k.....the 10-15K suddenly looks a heck of a lot better.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

I looked into this option quite extensively and your car would have to be smogged to 2012 standards! This means 100% of your smog items would have to meet this standard. The power steering is electric, but can be done, with enough work. It uses a dry-sump oil system and bunch of other stuff.

Unless you live in one of the rare no-smog counties, or know someone who lives there so you can register car there, cause Jazzer is right, it is a HUGE pain. One of the local shops up here has almost completed a swap, and the owner is s$#ting bricks worrying about the smog.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Yeah Im not gonna do that afterall, It seems too expensive and difficult. I was looking for some simple easy power. It seems a SC or perhaps just have my engine rebuilt to a stroker. I know one guy that does some really great engine builds. Im just not sure if it would pass smog if i went with a hi-po rebuild. What do you guys think of rebuilding with forged internals, head job,higher compression and all the bells and whistles? Do you think the 4.6 can reach 400+ engine HP? Id rather do the engine so I have a brand new engine along with the power. Superchargers are great but then I still have an old engine. At the SC and engine rebuild will cost me about the same. Probably cheaper to have the engine rebuilt. The guy I know (Ben Alameda Racing) is pretty cool and gives me great prices.

I would just like to have 400-450 engine horsepower and be reliable.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i think you should forge it and throw a supercharger on it and be done
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Considering they make all the parts to makethe swap happen, it really shouldnt be difficult, just time consuming.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote into New Edge swap!