4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

V8 vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yes, you can tune it for better MPG. Also, shedding some weight and improving the aerodynamics of the car will help.

Every car will have it's little draw backs. The 99-04 V6 tends to crack passanger side exhaust manifolds due to how the AC drips just above it. On the earlier 4.6L the coolant cross over on the intake caused issues.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
And that FACT says the general public is JUST FINE with the V6.
My problem with this statement is this is a mustang forum, generally anyone on here is into performance and the OP was talking HP numbers....

that leads me to believe he is not the general public and he will not be fine with a v6 that cant outrun most minivans on the road today

And if you dont have an alum. crossover on the 4.6 intake, it will eventually crack. I believe they started changing over to the alum ones in 2001 or so
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I would buy the V-8, no doubt. I really could care less about MPG though....
Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

If he wants gas mileage he shouldnt be buying a mustang. Period.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

j-schmidt my sentiments exactly... He** I drive a 02 Ford F150 FX-4 to work everyday.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
My problem with this statement is this is a mustang forum, generally anyone on here is into performance and the OP was talking HP numbers....

that leads me to believe he is not the general public and he will not be fine with a v6 that cant outrun most minivans on the road today

And if you dont have an alum. crossover on the 4.6 intake, it will eventually crack. I believe they started changing over to the alum ones in 2001 or so
Generally, sure... but this comment by White Fox GT was made that I was addressing. So your problem is misplaced and not related to this thread.

...however go out in public and ask a stranger if they would rather have a v6 or v8 mustang.
Justin, hearing you talk about low hp out of the 99-04 V6 is funny since stock for stock most of the 5 speed V6s from that era will dyno equal to the automatic equipped 96-98 GT....Hey, don't you have one of those???

The "hp numbers" in the first post states he's ok with a V6 and minimal mods for rwhp. It says NOTHING about modding the V8 if he goes that route. The first post also talks about it being a college car/driver... not implying he's looking to do a major build for this car at all. The V6 still fits the bill for what his goal is.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Lmao you wont give up will you. ok everyone, sell your v8s and lets all get a v6. We will be pleasantly surprised at the performance and mpg increase! Not to mention the sweet 16yr old girl vibe we'll give off.

OP comes in here and asks a question he most likely knows the answer to already. And you come in butthurt because people said dont get a sixxer. YOU started the whole bicker fest here...Im just stating my opinion on the matter brah. I have a 98, and I'll challenge any stick v6 to a race any day lol
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

What's "not giving up" mean... I mearly addressed a comment made. And suddenly you think I'm comparing a V6 to a 4V Cobra?? Nice change up. However, if I had my sixer still I'd meet you and take your challenge. She laid plenty of hurt down on some 4V Mustangs in her time.

And go back and read, I simply stated an option for the OP. It was the others (including you) who got upset and started the personal attacks.

I got some facts out there, and am done with your childish personal crap and twisted comments in this thread. Forgive me if I fail to reply to what I'm sure will be an outstanding educated next few posts.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You are obviously the boss off all v6 knowledge. I commend you. I'm sorry if you got offended to my comment. They werent pointed directly at you at first. Reading from the first reply down seemed as if you had an attitude towards the other posters regarding their opinions on the v6. I simply used a comparison (a rather tacky one, just my style lol) to show my opinion on the matter. I know my stuff about these cars and helped plenty of people. I got nothing to prove by arguing with you. You obviously take this forum too seriously. Internet.....serious business. Now lock this thread before more dumb falls out of anyone else's mouth

Last edited by WhiteFoxGT; 05-12-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Ask me.... V-6 Mustang or a V-8 Mustang? I'm going V-8.... Mach 1 or a GT? I'm going Mach 1. Mach 1 or a 03 Cobra? No comment...

Quick Reply: V8 vs. V6