4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Constant pull to the right, can't figure it out.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 AM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Constant pull to the right, can't figure it out.

I have a 2000 GT that, after I installed a suspension kit, constantly pulls to the right.

After having it aligned, I thought it may have been my brake caliper sticking, bc it was. I changed the caliper and the rotor that had recently warped after the car started pulling. I have no more vibration, but my car is still pulling to the right.

The only thing I can think of is that the springs that I installed, one on the front may have been cut slightly shorter than the other. Only talking about a .5 inch max, not .5 inches vertically, but .5 inches of coil.

Could such a slight deviation in coil height cause a constant hard pull to the on side? Could something with the shocks that I installed cause an issue such as this?

I could also be one of the tires as well, but I my stock wheels and it still pulls.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

When it was aligned did they check the thrust angle?
Were you in the car during the alignment?

Did you get a printout or record the before and after alignment numbers?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by cliffyk
When it was aligned did they check the thrust angle?
Were you in the car during the alignment?

Did you get a printout or record the before and after alignment numbers?

We need to see the printout to verify it is an alignment issue. could be a tire pull, plenty of variables. could be the crown in the road also.

and cliff idk where you get your car worked on but theres no way he would ever be in the car while someone is doing the work on it, if so, that shop has 0 insurance.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
We need to see the printout to verify it is an alignment issue. could be a tire pull, plenty of variables. could be the crown in the road also.

and cliff idk where you get your car worked on but theres no way he would ever be in the car while someone is doing the work on it, if so, that shop has 0 insurance.
Goodyear Service Center here in Saint Augustine, they have never had any problem with me being in it--in fact I taught them how to adjust the Steeda CC plates, the manager (whose '04 Cobra I tune) had all the mechanics on duty come and watch.

I guess that's sort of an "edge", but any alignment shop worth paying should let you sit in it, or ballast the drivers seat. If they don't then find another more competent shop...

I'm pretty sure they have insurance...

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

I do have the printout of the alignment and everything seems correct from what I have read.
I did not sit in the car during the alignment.
I am fairly sure it isn't the road that is causing it, as this is a very hard pull to the right. I have driven on the other side of the road and it still pulls to the right.

The only thing I can think of is a suspension component b/c it started when I put the suspension on it. I guess it could be one of my wheels as well, bc I put them on at the same time I did the suspension.

I am going to put my stock wheels back on to make sure the wheels are not causing the problem. The last time I used those wheels was 2 years ago when I hit another car head on in my last mustang.

You guys didn't mention anything about the coil being slightly shorter than the other, do you think this could play a part in it pulling to one side?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Well, it's not the wheels. I put the old set back on and it still has a pull to the right. Doesn't seem as bad, but it is still there. Probably not as bad b/c of the tire diameter and width sizes. Went from an 18 X 275 to a 17 X 245 on the front.

So the only thing I can think of is that the coil spring on one side has .5" less coil. Any other Ideas?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

if your coil was uneven, the alignment would be off because the car would be setting at a different height each side. Get the alignment re-done by another shop and as for a before and after printout. You might need CC plates to properly correct the concern. Or you may have a bend strut/spindle from the accident
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

I didn't wreck this car. Just the wheels are from the wrecked car.
I have CC plates, and I have a before and after printout from when I got the alignment done after I installed the suspension.

I have a track weekend coming up this Sat and Sun. I'm going to take the coil springs off the front and cut them exactly the same length. They are Ford C springs.
Then I will take it back to the shop and see if they will do a free adjustment.

I'll post the results just for future reference.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Get on "very" flat, level ground, like a smooth, even garage floor. Measure from the ground to the fender, both sides. To force the car to pull to one side that bad will be noticed in the height being off from one side to the other.

Jack the front up and spin the wheels to verify it still isn't a brake locking up.

Verify equal tire pressure. I picked up a screw once causing a slow leak, and when the tire got low, it developed a pull.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 AM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm going to change the brake line first. May have collapsed internally due to the high temperature from the brakes sticking before.
Sort of a long shot, but better than having to pull the coil springs off.