4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Laser Red 00 GT Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Default Laser Red 00 GT Build Up

I picked up my first New Edge yesterday. The car is really beat to death. It's got 118,xxx miles, a new unpainted front bumper cover and headlights on it because it was wrecked, the wire harness melted down and started a small fire, The auto trans doesn't shift like it should, and the brakes apparently don't work. Interior is in fair condition as well as the body. I picked it up for an absolute STEAL though.

I'm new to modular Mustangs and would like some opinions for first mods to the car. I'm thinking get the bumper cover painted and then do exhaust and gears, then work on my manual conversion and suspension. The mechanical and electrical problems that the car came with are no biggie. I've already got most of them figured out, just need to put in the wrench time. Below is a parts list of stuff that I have in my garage that I plan on using:

TKO 600 w/PRO 5.0 shifter
Steeda Superlite rear springs
Strange front coilovers
MM Subframe connectors
Innovate Motorsport MTX-L
01 Anthracite Bullitts

Here is the car when I got it home yesterday. It was DIRTY! I cleaned it up a little, still have a long way to go though. I had to wash it 3 times to get all the black mold and tar off the car. I have some rubbing compound that I'll use to brighten it. I'm gonna use some Tuff Stuff carpet cleaner tomorrow on the inside. I put my Anthracite Bullitts on as well. Looks a lot better than the black ones.

Looks pretty good with the Anthracites.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Stay far away form TKOs takes alot of money to make em shift right, and sometimes it still doesn't work. What did u pay for it.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

The guy who owned that car needs a swift kick up his you know what... Gears are a must on these cars.. What kind of exhuast are you going with??
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Paid 3k for the car. It needs a tune up and fluids flushed but it runs great for being beat all to hell.
I've owned this TKO for a couple of years and really enjoy using it in my Fox. I've heard a lot if negatives and positives about em but I love it.
I haven't decided on an exhaust yet because I'm not sure what sounds good with these mod motors. If you guys have suggestions, I'm all ears. Literally! Lol.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I addressed the wire harness issue today. It was really no big deal at all. What had happened was the insulation on the fog light wires were stripped when the car was wrecked, causing them to short and melt down. I know this because I found the rest of the fog light harness in the trunk, it was almost completely bare. I was afraid that he had cut and spliced all the wires that have electrical tape on them, but luckily, he didn't. The tape was put on there because he didn't know which ones were bare and which ones weren't. The only thing I have to do now is solder and shrink wrap two wires down to the fog light location and plug it in. He had also pulled the fog light relay out, once I found the problem, I put a relay in and tested it and it's good now.

Fog light wires are in the red box.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

So, I'm more in a restoration phase than anything. The tar is EVERYWHERE inside the fender wells. Been putting a lot of time into that and fixing the front end. I've also been hunting for rust because the quarters are showing signs of it. Took off the side skirts to check out the rocker panels and they were in great shape. A lot of crap was up inside the skirts though. It made removing the tar a lot easier to have them off as well. Replaced the idler pully, tensioner pully, serpentine belt, a/c clutch and spark plugs. I also replaced the hood release cable and I'm having the bumper cover painted this week as well. No really great progress pics yet but they are coming.

Parts on order at the moment (I've already gotten a few things in):
Maximum Motorsport C/C plates
01-04 headlights
Mach 1 grille delete
tail lights
fog light
foglight connector
header panel
hood release cable
automotivetouchup.com primer and base coat(for the header panel)
inner fender wells(the old ones were toasted. The tires rubbed holes in them because they were just flapping around inside after the wreck.)

Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Its coming along! What the heck is the story with all of the tar? That's crazy!

On the tensioner and idler pulley, were they bad or was it just being proactive? I'm considering replacing mine (109k) but they seem to be fairly good condition with no obvious binding or noise...but I have been having weird overheating and charging problems.

I just realized the pic of the pullies is with the engine running. They are so fresh and new they look like they are stationary!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Congrats !! I've had many cars that were neglected and on the verge of death. Just be patient and it'll be well worth it in the end. Keep up the good work
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by wcgman
Its coming along! What the heck is the story with all of the tar? That's crazy!

On the tensioner and idler pulley, were they bad or was it just being proactive? I'm considering replacing mine (109k) but they seem to be fairly good condition with no obvious binding or noise...but I have been having weird overheating and charging problems.

I just realized the pic of the pullies is with the engine running. They are so fresh and new they look like they are stationary!
Thanks for the kind words man, I've got a little ways to go until its nice and looking new again, which is my goal.

Well, I guess right after the car was bought the city re-tared the back road that this car lived on. They didn't put any signs up or send any kind of notice and it was the only road to their house. So on the way home... you get the idea. That was 4 years ago..

The pullies were in really bad shape and the A/C clutch didn't have any rubber bushings left at all.

Originally Posted by supersnake67
Congrats !! I've had many cars that were neglected and on the verge of death. Just be patient and it'll be well worth it in the end. Keep up the good work
Thanks bro!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The Mustang World thanks you for saving this car!!

Quick Reply: Laser Red 00 GT Build Up