4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

ill add in that i went from 3.73s to 4.10s and noticed a slightdecrease in mpg, i dont have exact numbers but i can say with 3.73s I was extremely happy with the gas mileage
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
Like I said ..do you see how Rockwell28 handled the situation??? Like I said take notes . And to clear the air I bought this bullitt for 9k and it has only 37k miles ..true blue number 3096. It was a good deal and a good car that happened to have 4:10s already installed which I might add that he kept the factory gears that came with it and it came with the purchase of the car..so even if I get someone else to do it it will cost around 300 buttttt I will not I will do it myself..which will only cost me a little time..so it's more than worth it. And like I said I never race I work to hard for my money..I drive the speed limit and it's kinda funny how I drove the speed limit in my other gt and got 23mpg with factory gears. And for those smart asses on here at 54 years old I've probably spent more time working on cars then you have been alive so grow up. I'm just now coming over to the more modern stuff..that's why I said hey Ill just ask some people on the Internet for the newer cars and now you see why old people hate young people no respect. Take lessons from rockwell28 he knows what's up that long response he said use his advise. And everyone will be so much happier.
This has been bugging me for a few post so I fixed it for you
Little boy I will stomp you just as sure as the sun will come tommorow . Go have fun in your mustang and think oh I have a v8 mustang that has 300hp ..come talk to me when you can do a 8.7 second 1/4 mile.
Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
First off, I can tell you're new to the internet. I would like to welcome you. However, many people on here are very sarcastic. You need to have thick skin if you plan on spending a lot of time on here.

I guess I should have provided you with more information. I live in Pa where I drove the car. Most of the highway speed limits are 65mph. I usually did 72mph on the highway. I also drove a lot of back roads. I would describe my driving style on back roads as "spirited". I got 24mpg with my 4.10s. I guess your car is broke then

Congrats on having a car that can do an 8.7 second 1/4mile. Be prepared for someone to call you out on it and want a time slip. This is the internet.
As stated earlier, please grow some thicker skin, you won't last long if you don't. The last guy who came in here claiming he was older and working on cars longer than we've been alive was the most immature person in that section, of course im not saying you are though. I agree there are ways of answering questions but you can't blow up at people for sarcasm. Relax and things will go well. Btw, I have 3.73's and average 25mpg on the freeway (65mph) My car is originally rated at 25mpg as well. These ratings are just estimates though so take them with a grain of salt.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
First off, I can tell you're new to the internet. I would like to welcome you. However, many people on here are very sarcastic. You need to have thick skin if you plan on spending a lot of time on here.

I guess I should have provided you with more information. I live in Pa where I drove the car. Most of the highway speed limits are 65mph. I usually did 72mph on the highway. I also drove a lot of back roads. I would describe my driving style on back roads as "spirited". I got 24mpg with my 4.10s. I guess your car is broke then

Congrats on having a car that can do an 8.7 second 1/4mile. Be prepared for someone to call you out on it and want a time slip. This is the internet.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess so ..I didn't even know how to search anything until a year ago. haha. But that's very impressive. 24mpg..my other gt did 23 but it had factory gears..I out 206k miles on it before I sold it to a friend as a project car to do things to. I might add that the car was and still is in perfect working condition. ..all I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 150k just because the throw out bearing wore out and just went ahead and replaced it anyway and the grommet that seals the gas hose and tank together eventually rotted but that's it. Any way thanks for the heads up
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
This has been bugging me for a few post so I fixed it for you

As stated earlier, please grow some thicker skin, you won't last long if you don't. The last guy who came in here claiming he was older and working on cars longer than we've been alive was the most immature person in that section, of course im not saying you are though. I agree there are ways of answering questions but you can't blow up at people for sarcasm. Relax and things will go well. Btw, I have 3.73's and average 25mpg on the freeway (65mph) My car is originally rated at 25mpg as well. These ratings are just estimates though so take them with a grain of salt.
That's pretty cool. I understand I just don't like people to disrespect other people just becuase ...it's not right. But wow 25 mpg what were your Rpms at 65? And I just don't like that 99 vert guy I know he's a kid because he said "come at me bro" my grandson is 16 and he says that alot...I'm not sayin he doesn't have a cobra I'm saying he's a kid based off evidence and probably a spoiled one at that.

But thank you again. I just bought the car so I need to do my upkeep and see if it increased..only had the car for 3 days
Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I started with factory 2.73 gears.... I'm not sure I ever used 5th gear in the car. Then I went to 4.10s.... they were a rush when I was a bolt-on/cams car. However, when I went to the 5.4 supercharged, and lowered my rpm limiter to 5,800rpms... the 4.10s became a huge annoyance.

I also found the sweet spot to be 3.55 gears. I absolutely loved everything about them. From the length between gears cruising around town, to the drop in highway mpg.

They say 'don't fear the gear'... I don't fear it... I just didn't need it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

And I just don't like that 99 vert guy I know he's a kid because he said "come at me bro" my grandson is 16 and he says that alot...I'm not sayin he doesn't have a cobra I'm saying he's a kid based off evidence and probably a spoiled one at that.
alright the only reason why i said everything like i did is because you were jumping all over everyone and saying things that did not need to be said when they were just stating their opinion and giving you information sure it may not have been the best way to do it but this is the internet not everything or everyone is perfect. Just for the record i am 22 pay for my own car, all the modifications done to it are paid by me, i paid for my own truck, and i own my own house sure i have had some help from my parents over the years when i get in a tight spot but i work 2 jobs to be able to afford the things i have and want, spoiled nope, hard worker yes sir
Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Armystrongmach1
1st Gear Member

I have a set of 3:27's and 3:55's if you want to buy them....PM me with zip code...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I started with factory 2.73 gears.... I'm not sure I ever used 5th gear in the car. Then I went to 4.10s.... they were a rush when I was a bolt-on/cams car. However, when I went to the 5.4 supercharged, and lowered my rpm limiter to 5,800rpms... the 4.10s became a huge annoyance.

I also found the sweet spot to be 3.55 gears. I absolutely loved everything about them. From the length between gears cruising around town, to the drop in highway mpg.

They say 'don't fear the gear'... I don't fear it... I just didn't need it.
You could have not said it better than that my friend!!! I don't either need them. Haha.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
alright the only reason why i said everything like i did is because you were jumping all over everyone and saying things that did not need to be said when they were just stating their opinion and giving you information sure it may not have been the best way to do it but this is the internet not everything or everyone is perfect. Just for the record i am 22 pay for my own car, all the modifications done to it are paid by me, i paid for my own truck, and i own my own house sure i have had some help from my parents over the years when i get in a tight spot but i work 2 jobs to be able to afford the things i have and want, spoiled nope, hard worker yes sir
That's more like it. Good job. I honestly believe you. At 22 that is very good. You must have amazing credit to get a house at that age but I know it's possible seems like your ahead of the game. Hell I didn't accomplish that until I was in my late 20s and that's only because I did something people can't do..which is not sleep for a few days. Literally not even lying down..worst years of my life. But it was all worth it in the end. Good job keep up the good work!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Armystrongmach1
I have a set of 3:27's and 3:55's if you want to buy them....PM me with zip code...

Thanks man but no thanks I have the factory gears that came with the car I'll probably just put those on I think they are 3:27s I think:/

Quick Reply: 4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears