4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

going from stock gears up to 3.73s my highway mileage went from 26-27mpg hwy(3.27s) down to 23-25 mpg hwy(3.73s) so we know that when you change out tthe rear gear from factory that on the highway you will be spinning at higher rpms and your highway mileage will go down quite a bit and every car is different. I dont daily drive my mustang so mileage isnt a huge concern to me but if I were getting 17mpg hwy then I would want to make some changes myself gas isnt .89 a gal like it was when I first started driving in the 90s. And op while you're at it you may as well make sure the air filter is good to go just recharge it if its an oilable filter and also change out the fuel filter they run like $14 and its a 15-25min job every bit helps.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

I would say 3.55 is going to be your sweet spot. I have the stock gears in mine witch I bileve is the 3.27 and I'd like a steeper gear even with all the mods. I wouldn't go back to stock because your still going to want that stuck back in your seat feeling when you dart it
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I had 4.10s in my GT and got 24mpg driving like a normal person.

Either you need to change the way you drive, sell your car and buy a corolla, or be happy with 17mpg. My Jeep is getting me 17mpg and I'm ecstatic
Did you read my earlier post???

And 70 mph is a fast driver huh? Hell according to you it is...when I do 70 my Rpms are at 2900 so...I guess I'll need to drive like you 45 on the highway. I never race. Never abuse it. I work to hard for my money
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
going from stock gears up to 3.73s my highway mileage went from 26-27mpg hwy(3.27s) down to 23-25 mpg hwy(3.73s) so we know that when you change out tthe rear gear from factory that on the highway you will be spinning at higher rpms and your highway mileage will go down quite a bit and every car is different. I dont daily drive my mustang so mileage isnt a huge concern to me but if I were getting 17mpg hwy then I would want to make some changes myself gas isnt .89 a gal like it was when I first started driving in the 90s. And op while you're at it you may as well make sure the air filter is good to go just recharge it if its an oilable filter and also change out the fuel filter they run like $14 and its a 15-25min job every bit helps.
Very good! That's what I was going to do today but it's porring:/ I was gonna do everything change oil flush the radioator fuel filter everything..lol and yep I remember those times back when gas was cheap..I remember when it when up to 50 cents a gallon I was mad lol I had a 66 back then.

Thanks again sir you've been very helpful
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by russellthelovemuscle
I would say 3.55 is going to be your sweet spot. I have the stock gears in mine witch I bileve is the 3.27 and I'd like a steeper gear even with all the mods. I wouldn't go back to stock because your still going to want that stuck back in your seat feeling when you dart it
Gottcha that is true I'll see what the shop has on sale cause sometimes they have good stuff for like 30% off. I will keep in mind. Thanks my friend
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

just buy a smart car or if your feeling sporty get a Honda Del Sol if you want good mpg's
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Alright let's think with some logic here if you are going to change the gears for gas mileage you are wasting money. With 3.27s you may gain 2 mpg that will take for ever to pay back the 5-700 dollars that it will take to have the gears swapped and diff rebuilt and put new seals in it. Now if you want good gas mileage you never should have bought a mustang should have got a civic or prius, now on your comments were you went off on everyone that told you facts and you didn't like to hear it grow the f up and accept the fact everything that was said to you is true and if you don't like it you can get the f off the internet and go cry to your mommy
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Dude it's a F'n forum roll with the sarcasim it make life a lot easier. Firing back and calling people ahole's and telling them to grow up makes you look like a dousche. anyway
Like stated about you have to factor in the payback for the gear swap to make this worth while. If I where to think the way you do I would put in 3.55's
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

so explain to me how i got 26mpg on the highway with 4.10's ( at 65-75 mph) multiple times..just keep your foot out of it and you'll be good.

Dont get so butthurt about the sarcasm lol damn
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
Alright let's think with some logic here if you are going to change the gears for gas mileage you are wasting money. With 3.27s you may gain 2 mpg that will take for ever to pay back the 5-700 dollars that it will take to have the gears swapped and diff rebuilt and put new seals in it. Now if you want good gas mileage you never should have bought a mustang should have got a civic or prius, now on your comments were you went off on everyone that told you facts and you didn't like to hear it grow the f up and accept the fact everything that was said to you is true and if you don't like it you can get the f off the internet and go cry to your mommy
Originally Posted by BraMas
Dude it's a F'n forum roll with the sarcasim it make life a lot easier. Firing back and calling people ahole's and telling them to grow up makes you look like a dousche. anyway
Like stated about you have to factor in the payback for the gear swap to make this worth while. If I where to think the way you do I would put in 3.55's
on that same note one has to factor in the amount of money to be lost monthly while getting 17mpg hwy 17hwy x a 15.7 gal tank =266 miles a tank now with a gear swap that will cost lets say he gets to 26mpg hwy 26mpg hwy x a 15.7 gal tank=408 miles a tank thats an possible extra 142 miles a tank added bc of a gear swap when he didnt put those 4.10s in himself in the first place so its a modification that varies from person to person on which gear to go with that he(op) didnt even opt to put in.

But anyway it will cost to buy the gears and have them installed but the possible extra 142 miles per tank after the gear change will kinda pay for itself monthly and over time. Maybe im wrong on that. And we are all grown *** men and women here but whenever a gear thread or mileage is brought up things always seem to take a negative turn we all have options and if its possible to get 20++mpg out of a car for someone whom actually cares about doing so then why talk **** to that person? Different strokes and different goals with the cars. How about we drive on and respect eachohters choices no matter if we agree with them or not even though that can be easier said than done.

Quick Reply: 4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears