4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Headlights, HID, projectors.. Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Default Headlights, HID, projectors.. Etc.

So I picked up a mustang GT about a month ago, previously driving a v6 for 5 years (first car!).

One of my main concerns is being able to see at night, since stock headlights are not the best. Around here the rural roads hold multiple surprises at night. My v6 had a hid kit off eBay, which helped a lot and worked, but cluttered the engine bay with ballasts and wires. Just like my v6 the GT has tinted headlights, but stock bulbs which were pitiful. So I bought some clear lense projectors off eBay. The dim beams were pointed to the ground and the high beams in the trees. They adjusted together up and down which caused the problem, not to mention they weren't fully functioning.

I've decided to get an HID kit for the GT with the stock style tinted headlights. I know that's not the right way, but it's the cheapest and most effective for being able to see on the winding back roads around here. Also concerned with the multiple wires required for a HID kit.

Main questions- I'm looking for some quality HID kits, so far the website retro-solutions comes up a lot. Any feedback for their kits? Tips for hiding the wires and ballasts? And suggestions for headlights are fully welcome.

Uploading pictures shortly!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Here's the GT, tinted headlights.

Here's a picture of the projectors.

Blown angel light, came like that.

For the heck of it
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

cant wait for jazzer to chime in with his butthurt self. sorry op, i dont have much to help you on this one HIDs arent my thing
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
cant wait for jazzer to chime in with his butthurt self. sorry op, i dont have much to help you on this one HIDs arent my thing
Why would you even post? Apparently you're the butthurt one.

Get a HID projector retrofitted into those housings, and you'll be much happier. Proper light pattern, not blinding other drivers, things like that.

Check out. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I think the stock headlights retro fitting are the best looking and functional of all the options, but they are also the most expensive. Id rather just throw in a HID kit than pay all that money for them to be retro fitted. Or at least currently, I just don't have that kind of money. Nor do I have all the tools and skills to retro fit my own.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

I dunno, I'm a big fan of do it right or don't do it. Your choice though.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Luke, I'll upload some pictures of where my ballasts and wires are, its very nice and you really have to poke your head in the engine bay to find them.

Luckily for me my mustang came retrofitted, I think haha the light isn't all over the place so i'd assume it is. Other wise I wouldn't bother. To many trucks here with fog lights and high beams on, running around at night for me to feel bad if I blind one.

Last edited by Doyon; 06-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Doyon, I know exactly what you are taking about. I dont think anyone around here knows how to dim their lights. I'll appriciate the pictures if you can get them up!

AJB, I agree things should be done right, but for the money I could get this done to hold me over till tax time haha!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the night vision kit off retro solutions, 6000k cool white, and bulb caps. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm interested in the quality difference between an eBay kit and this one, plus what the bulb caps accomplish.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Sub'ing i want HIDs in my car one day, after i get it fast enough to rate them lol

Quick Reply: Headlights, HID, projectors.. Etc.