4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

just put in a new 4.6 engine in my GT and DRIVER SIDE OF ENGINE WONT FIRE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM
bradenengland

Default just put in a new 4.6 engine in my GT and DRIVER SIDE OF ENGINE WONT FIRE!!!!!!

Hey guys i have a 2000 mustang gt automatic, i just bought a used 4.6 engine out of a 2002 mustang gt, i took the old motor out and put in the new one, and i went to start it up and the whole driver side of the engine wont fire.. its getting fuel, and the coil packs are getting power to them but the injectors arent working properly i think.. the passenger side of the motor is working fine tho.. could this be a problem with the computer? i have an sct performance tuner and i checked the engine codes thru that.. and it first threw a code p1000, and after getting it started up, which was a bit rough because half the motor isnt running it threw a code p1152.. i reset the computer back to stock and it still said p1000, can anyone help me out with this please???
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

google says this about the p1000 code:

P1000 means a drive cycle has not completed, it will only clear itself after driving the vehicle through certain driving conditions. If you try to clear the code, it will reappear until you repeat the drive cycle.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
bradenengland

i cant drive the car right now because it wont run right.. could this problem be in the computer?.. i bought the motor from a salvage/ junkyard, it only has 57k on it, but when i got the motor, i went to go turn it over at the crank with a socket and ratchet but it would only turn over halfway one way and halfway the other.. so i took it back and told them and they said they would fix it and they took some stuff apart and they figured out that something was caught up in the timing chain not letting it turn over... one of the valve covers was cracked and they had replaced it which is why im guessing something got caught up in it.. but im wondering if when they took the engine apart to get to the timing chain, if they took the timing chain off and didnt time it back right.. ive been searching the internet about similar problems and other forums have been saying if half the engine isnt running that it could be that one side of the engine is timed 180 degrees out of sync.. any ideas what my problem could be???
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bradenengland
i cant drive the car right now because it wont run right.. could this problem be in the computer?.. i bought the motor from a salvage/ junkyard, it only has 57k on it, but when i got the motor, i went to go turn it over at the crank with a socket and ratchet but it would only turn over halfway one way and halfway the other.. so i took it back and told them and they said they would fix it and they took some stuff apart and they figured out that something was caught up in the timing chain not letting it turn over... one of the valve covers was cracked and they had replaced it which is why im guessing something got caught up in it.. but im wondering if when they took the engine apart to get to the timing chain, if they took the timing chain off and didnt time it back right.. ive been searching the internet about similar problems and other forums have been saying if half the engine isnt running that it could be that one side of the engine is timed 180 degrees out of sync.. any ideas what my problem could be???
Hmmm... a junkyard pulled the top end of the engine apart, messed with it now it won't run right? Yeah, I'd say you could have timing or other issues related to whatever they did. The 1/2 rotation thing before they played around doesn't sound too good either.

No chance of having them swap it for an untampered with engine?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
bradenengland

i believe they only took off the valve covers and the front cover of the motor to get to the timing chain.. they also took off the oil pan before that to check and see if there was anything wrong in there before the timing chains
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
bradenengland

and about the half rotation thing.. when they got the car it had a cracked valve cover so they replaced it and im guessing something got caught in the timing chain and they didnt know
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

It may need to be re-timed. I am not knowledgeable about this kind of thing though, so I'm not sure. You could take the cam covers off and see if the cams line up right.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
bradenengland

okay thanks i will check that and get back to you
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM
bradenengland

okay well i pulled the valve covers off the motor and the driver side isnt timed correctly... i had th car running for a few minutes before i knew what was wrong.. could running it for that few minutes have bent any valves?? i need to know!!! if i time it right again will it run fine or has it already been messed up???
Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Should have post that thread in the new edge section...
More traffic for you there.

Quick Reply: just put in a new 4.6 engine in my GT and DRIVER SIDE OF ENGINE WONT FIRE!!!!!!