4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exedy clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
burrlap75

Default Exedy clutch

I just had my stock clutch changed yesterday, and decided to go with a stage 2 Exedy 400 clutch kit. After installation by a professional mechanic the tranny is extremely difficult to downshift, and nearly impossible to get into 1st and reverse. Also when the tranny is in 1st or reverse with the clutch completely depressed the car still moves. The mechanic tried to adjust as much as possible, but the problem still occurs. I mentioned the adjustable clutch kits that are available, and he said not to bother and thinks that pressure plate in the clutch is bad from the factory.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

id have the mechanic pull it apart and figure it out on his dime.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The clutch isnt adjusted properly, or the clutchfork isnt sitting on its ball pivot correctly.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

deffinitly have that mech try it again on his own time, very unlikely your clutch came deffetive although it is possible. adjustable clutch cable kit isn't a bad idea though. i got a upr one, easy enough to install, lots of adjustability, and fairly cheap
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Shae04GT
1st Gear Member

Send it back and try another kit. I'm suprised with it being brand new it caused those problems. It should have a warranty with it I'm assuming
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I doubt theres a problem with the clutch this soubds line an install problem
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 PM
burrlap75

i'm planning on sending the clutch back, but do i try to get the same kit, or go with a different brand. my mechanic recommended the Spec kit, but i would have to purchase a new flywheel for that install. I'd rather not spend the extra $300 or so for a new flywheel.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Id say f your mechanic and find a new one. that's a bad install not a faulty clutch.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Why did he give the car back to you like that? Nearly impossible to get it in first or reverse. Didn't he test drive it after completion?

He should have called you and said that he had it done but needed to tear it back apart because something wasn't right.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

If the clutch assembly was the culprit, it would most likely be the pressure plate. A pressure plate is a pretty idiot-proof design, there is really nothing that can go wrong with them from an assembly standpoint, the odds of one being bad out of the box would be nil, unless it was made in China.
American made products are checked & double-checked before shipping.

The more likely culprit would be the clutch fork not being installed properly (broken pivot?) or else there is a bind/kink in the clutch cable. Either way, the problem is that your clutch is not disengaging completely. Find out what is restricting the travel of the pressure plate. It could be something as simple as the clutch cable adjustment.

Quick Reply: Exedy clutch