4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New 1999 Mustang GT owner!! Need help asap with mods!!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
jakecross88

Default New 1999 Mustang GT owner!! Need help asap with mods!!

Hi! I just bought a 1999 Mustang GT from a private seller. It is in mint condition and has only 54k miles and in a rare electric green color. I love it! The original owner I bought it from did alot of work to the car already including Bassani exhaust, H pipes, Cold air intake, BBK throttle body, Black/Chrom FR500 wheels, Cobra R 2000 carbon fiber hood, Black Widow II bodykit with Cobra fog lights, Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, Steeda Tri Ax Short throw shifter, etc.

What can I buy and install on my mustang to make it AS FAST AS POSSIBLE for the least amount of money and not compromising too much mpg? Please send any suggestions!!

Thank you guys!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Balukasz
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Rear end gears !!!! 4.10 , 3.90's 0r 3.73's your choice
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...beginners.html

Take a few moments to check out the forums. Lots of information here at your disposal.

Welcome to the forums and happy modding!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Hit the newbie mod thread and utilize the search feature, welcome to the forum.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Martin6107
1st Gear Member

Start with making what you got work right. It is a great way to learn about your car without throwing your checkbook at it. I’ve been down this path several times using this formula as a starting point. Good luck

Prepare Yourself
Your first investment should be a good repair manual from Ford, Chilton’s or Haynes. All of these manuals do an excellent job of describing the work effort and tools needed to do the job. If you think you have the time and skills to take on a job, go for it. Most auto part stores have tool loaner programs for access to specialty tools that you will need for some of these jobs. Check with a few stores in your area BEFORE you get started on any job. Otherwise you will need access to a typical collection of wrenches, torque wrenches, sockets, jack stands, safety glasses, etc.

Safety First
Begin your budget rebuild by addressing safety concerns first. If the ECU is throwing codes, brakes are worn, tires are bald or transmission is slipping then THAT is the place for you to start. You may want to browse the list ahead and consider doing some of the improvement steps at the same time you are addressing safety issues. Your first task should be making sure that your new ride is roadworthy or put it up on blocks and start the rebuild.

Start Simple – Clean the Airflow Path
Properly metered airflow is absolutely required for your fuel injected system to work properly. Each of the cars that I have owned have benefitted greatly by cleaning the airflow system. Replace the air filter, clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, clean the throttle body and the Idle Air Controller (IAC). Removing the throttle body from the intake is not a difficult task at all. Many times I have found the throttle body or Idle Air Control Valve gasket was failing anyway. For less than $5 you can replace all these gaskets. Wear goggles and disposable gloves when using spray cleaners. Remember to remove the negative terminal from your battery before disconnecting any electrical connections. Not only is this am important safety step, but this also clears out the volatile memory from your ECU causing it to ‘forget’ the old settings in memory and learn to handle the new fresh air. Allow all the parts to air dry completely prior to reassembly.

You can learn a great deal about your engine by looking at the old spark plugs. As you replace spark plugs, lay out the old ones relative to the cylinder. All should look about the same. If one is particularly clean or fouled, search the internet for clues. A fouled plug on one of my cars was the result of a bad coil not firing the spark plug!
YIKES! Check your work and torque specs twice. Reconnect the battery and start the car. After just a few minutes of operation your engine idle should improve. Go for a test drive. Your throttle should feel more responsive on the road. More engine efficiency means better gas mileage too so smile.

Fuel Delivery
Replacing your fuel filter annually is a good idea. This primary filter keeps a lot of junk from clogging up your injectors in the first place. Try as you may, the injectors will still foul over time so plan to have your injectors cleaned. There are several guys on eBay that will ship you a clean set to swap on your ride and buy your old injectors back when you are done. Net cost is about $10-$12 per injector + shipping. I have used the fuel_injector_physician with great results.

At some point, you need to start thinking about replacing fuel filter which is part of the fuel pump assembly inside of the gas tank. This probably means draining and dropping the gas tank from your car. It is not a terribly difficult task, but it is enough work that you probably only want to do it once. While you have the tank out, it makes sense to replace the fuel pump at the same time. The fuel pump hanger can be reused as long as it is not corroded. Many of the newer replacement fuel pumps use impellers to pump fuel rather than diaphragms making the new fuel pumps much quieter. Check the fill tube grommet too as these tend to dry out with time.

Once you get the existing engine running efficiently, the rest is up to you and your budget.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Martin6107
1st Gear Member

Oh - and 1 thing I forgot to mention.... Every one of the SN95 mustangs I have owned had a bad vacuum line running from the fuel vapor canister under the passenger fender to the canister purge valve on the firewall. The hose in question is about 20" long section that dry rots very quickly and begins to leak resulting in vacuum loss whenever the solenoid opens. You will know the hose I am speaking about because it will fall apart like chalk when you touch it - seriously nasty stuff. In the most severe cases, fuel vapor will leak through it causing intermittent raw fuel smell. I think it can be replaced by 3/8 fuel line.

Replace this hose and you will see better performance, better idle and improved gas mileage. Guaranteed!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM
JBirdCAMS

Rear end gears are definitely a good idea. I also saw some nice gains from underdrive pullies (easy to install). Another good thing to have is a tuner you can get a nice increase in performance by tuning, American muscle, late model restoration, stang mods, to name a few places for these things. Almost forgot get sfi approved pullies Steeda makes very good ones.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

Handheld tuner and gears!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Good thing we have a sticky specifically talking about and explain the different mods you can do so we don't get threads like this anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 1999 Mustang GT owner!! Need help asap with mods!!