4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Stang is moving to Utah-2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Foodie

Default Stang is moving to Utah-2 questions

I'm leery of turning my car over to a transporter.

1. Do I take the plates off?

2. Should I leave the lug locking key in the car while it's being transported? I'm thinking I should take it out, but what if the transport company needs it for some reason?

Holly
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

These are questions you need to ask the shipping company.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I had my SS hauled from Iowa to Arizona with no issues. Leave the plates on and lock the car. They will take the keys. Leave the lug key in the console, but let them know it is there just in case. Try to have them put it on top, not the bottom if they can, but that depends on where you are on the pickup route. Mine went on an open transport in the dead of winter and it showed up pretty clean. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Foodie

Yeah Drag, I figured the shipping company would have some rules to follow but if not, I didn't want to invite someone messing with it (like at a truck stop or something.)

Scooter, okay, I'll leave the key in there and let them know. Who picks it up from my house, may not be the guy that's transporting it. They may take it and load it onto another truck. I've only done this once before, years ago, but i didn't care then. Now with the GT, I do.

Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Plates on, locking lug in the glove box or center console. Pretty much everything Scooter said.

Also DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES let that car leave your possession until you have a documented Bill of Lading. That's absolutely your ONLY PROOF of the condition that your car left your possession in. And make darn sure that the person who picks it up documents the chain of command. Personally, I've only handed the keys over to the truck driver and if you gotta pay a couple extra bucks to have him come to your neighborhood or hitch a ride then do it. Like you said, you didnt care before but now I sure as heck would.

Expect to pay about a dollar a mile for open carrier and 1.50 per mile for closed. And totally +1000 about getting the car on the top if you can. Mine was on the bottom on the back and had a couple of rock pits and was filthy when it got here last time.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Take what wcgman said. Do not let that car leave your site until it is on that truck. And then make sure you or someone you know is at the drop off to inspect it. You should be fine as long as you have a good company.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Foodie

Okay, thanks guys.

I should have mentioned that this is a corporate relocation and this all gets set up and paid for by the company on my behalf. I wanted to minimize the opportunity for anyone to joy ride on the way there. Mileage will be documented at the time of pickup though so I think they know better. I'll be there at drop off and their better not be a scratch on it.

I'm sticking the bill of lading in my bra.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

That bill of lading is your only proof. When my 97 came in the first thing before I even inspected the car was the bill of lading. I didnt have the original, but the dealership I bought from in CT did, so the driver tried to pull some wool over my eyes but I wasnt having none of that. In the end, the driver and I negotiated instead of going to the insurance company.

As for where you stick the bill of lading, just watch for paper cuts Nobody needs to be losing any parts that rhyme with Whipple.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Foodie
Okay, thanks guys.

I should have mentioned that this is a corporate relocation and this all gets set up and paid for by the company on my behalf. I wanted to minimize the opportunity for anyone to joy ride on the way there. Mileage will be documented at the time of pickup though so I think they know better. I'll be there at drop off and their better not be a scratch on it.

I'm sticking the bill of lading in my bra.
Sounds like you have everything going for you then. Good luck and congrats on the new job I guess.

Originally Posted by wcgman
As for where you stick the bill of lading, just watch for paper cuts Nobody needs to be losing any parts that rhyme with Whipple.
Hilarious!!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Foodie

LMAO! You got that right!

Got to the hotel yesterday and had to turn Stang over to valet parking. I broke out into a cold sweat. The kid walks around the car and says, "well, I've done and inspection and I find no damage to your car". I looked at him and said "I know that, and I'm not going to find any either, will I?"

Quick Reply: Stang is moving to Utah-2 questions