4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Running warm only with AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
SchmigShady

Default Running warm only with AC

I have a 96 GT and its been very hot the past couple of weeks here Michigan like 100 anyway when I'm driving my car with ac turned on it will run really warm not over heat but damn close to it on the factory gauge it will at the A sometimes the L in the gauge thats says normal. If i turn the ac of it will go back down to about the half way mark. This spring I had to replace the intake and while i was there i put in a new water pump and new thermostat and put in fresh anti freeeze and its full. Now there a light on the dash i guess it a Radiator light or something its been on ever since i bought the car not sure if that has something to do with it. I know the fan is working it comes on and off at idol. Could I have a plugged radiator? or should i try a much cooler thermostat like a 160? or what else could cause this. Its too damn hot not to have the ac running.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

This is not an easy problem, but you have to start some place troubleshooting. When it is running "hot" is the fan still running or perhaps it is cutting off too soon. Another thing to check is the radiator hose pressurized after it gets hot? You should be able to feel the pressure on the hose. If it is still soft you may need a new pressure cap. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

It's the radiator. Super common problem with the 96-97 GT. My 4V swap did the same thing.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by JC316
It's the radiator. Super common problem with the 96-97 GT. My 4V swap did the same thing.
this, or the fan isnt coming on when the AC is on
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
this, or the fan isnt coming on when the AC is on
WhiteFox, you're a Ford tech correct? Is it possible that the OP missing the front radiator air deflector would cause the described symptoms? Alternatively that the condenser fins are clogged with "crap"?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM
SchmigShady

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
WhiteFox, you're a Ford tech correct? Is it possible that the OP missing the front radiator air deflector would cause the described symptoms? Alternatively that the condenser fins are clogged with "crap"?
I doubt the condenser would make the car would run warm. the AC blows ice cold but i could check into it. As far as the fan I know it works with the AC running at idol not sure about going down the road that would be hard to check. i drove it tonight and it only about 78 out and with AC on it didn't run warm but i only drove it for about 20 min. I will check the hose tomorrow to see if i feel pressure. If i end up replacing the Radiator I'm gonna put in aftermarket one for better cooling.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchmigShady
I doubt the condenser would make the car would run warm. the AC blows ice cold but i could check into it. As far as the fan I know it works with the AC running at idol not sure about going down the road that would be hard to check. i drove it tonight and it only about 78 out and with AC on it didn't run warm but i only drove it for about 20 min. I will check the hose tomorrow to see if i feel pressure. If i end up replacing the Radiator I'm gonna put in aftermarket one for better cooling.
If you do replace the radiator try to avoid the Mishimoto at all costs, they tend to start leaking within a year from what ive heard
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I just put an OEM replacement from NAPA in mine about 3 weeks ago and it's been really hot out in Denver this year. Same problems you were having. Once that was done, havent gone over the middle of NORMAL once. Old plugged radiator.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 AM
SchmigShady

Yeah I'm def gonna have to buy a new one. not sure when put too much money into my other car, just got done painting it. anybody know any good aftermarket ones? I want something that will cool it better than stock. Some day i want to take it auto crossing so i def gonna need some better.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchmigShady
Your radiator is probably the culprit because I had the same issue
the radiator in my 1997 GT had to be replaced with the newer revised
version radiator.My car would run around A and L of normal in the hot
humid summers we have here in Massachusetts.
Replacing your condenser is a good rule of thumb when replacing
your radiator though it would be a good idea.
If you plan on doing auto cross you will need a heavy duty aftermarket
three or four core radiator to keep the temperatures down and
keep your engine running efficient from heat soak.
My friend told me that the Fluidyne radiators are a good choice
for a replacement radiator.