4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Mustang's evolution (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Shae04GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyboy1294
Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

Dan, thank you, your company has been awesome in every order that I have made so far. Believe I surpassed the $1K mark with American Muscle when I got the SCT tuner. You will continue to see me as a costumer in the future.

Old Mustanger,
I was planning on purchasing the wheels through American Muscle as you said. I really like the FR500 wheels that are black with the polished lip. Think I might as well get the Nitto tire combo since while I'm at it. I'm unsure if I was the staggered wheels or not. I like the idea of being able to rotate the tires front-to-back if I got 18x9s all around, but I have plenty of time to decide I guess.

The running issues were entirely from a bad wiring job on the O2 sensor. It was causing a fuse to blow and the EGR was going nuts, etc. The car runs strong now and has no engine lights or hiccups.

I paid $5900 out the door for the car. It did have a few other small issues that I forgot to mention in the original post though. Needed a new rack and pinion, and pinion seal for the rear diff case. By the time all that was done I probably had $6750 invested in the car to get it on the road, but still that isn't bad for the year and miles.

Shae04GT, my dash lights stay lit up on both the park light and head light setting. I would check your wiring. I used the frame rail at the back of the little opening in the dash behind the cluster as a ground. Took some sand paper and cleaned up the area, then crimped a small loop end onto it so I could use a sheet metal screw to secure it. I also cut off the dimmer that the aftermarket dash insert came with and wired the positive and negative together, then cut the blue and white wire from my headlight switch and tapped into that. That way I can control the dash lights with the same **** as the other lights. I hope that helps, if needed I can elaborate more and maybe get some pictures.
Thanks dude this helps. I'm going to re wire it and hopefully I can switch them. I have a buddy and his do the same as mine as well so I was thinking it was common with this.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the delay everybody. College has kept me running in circles. I did pay the extra $100 for the parking garage permit, so atleast the Mustang is protected from the sun

Anyway, I got my Redline parts installed. They look pretty good! I'm very pleased with the quality. They do require a bit of finesse to install though. I waited until I was home one weekend to get some help from my father, who worked in the upholstery trade for some time.

Here are some pictures!

Matches the exterior quite well.

Also snapped some fresh pics of the car all washed and waxed.

And finally, I ordered a JVC digital media receiver head unit this weekend. Got tired of CDs. The Mach audio system isn't my favorite, but it will do for now. I'm just looking forward to being able to stream audio from my Andriod.

I want new tires and wheels and a set of cams for this thing so bad I can't stand it. It'll probably be a few months though sadly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of cams? I read that the MHS nitrious cams are popular...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flyboy1294
Sorry for the delay everybody. College has kept me running in circles. I did pay the extra $100 for the parking garage permit, so atleast the Mustang is protected from the sun

Anyway, I got my Redline parts installed. They look pretty good! I'm very pleased with the quality. They do require a bit of finesse to install though. I waited until I was home one weekend to get some help from my father, who worked in the upholstery trade for some time.

And finally, I ordered a JVC digital media receiver head unit this weekend. Got tired of CDs. The Mach audio system isn't my favorite, but it will do for now. I'm just looking forward to being able to stream audio from my Andriod.

I want new tires and wheels and a set of cams for this thing so bad I can't stand it. It'll probably be a few months though sadly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of cams? I read that the MHS nitrious cams are popular...

flyboy1294,

Incredible transformation! I see you have a ton of work in your GT. It's really cool that you took before/after picks on each step. Great work!

Cams- If you're looking to stay naturally aspirated we have a few good options. We've sold a ton of Comp Cams Stage II XE270AH Camshafts and had awesome feedback. Check out some of the customer reviews on that link. Comp Cams give a killer growl and will make you fall in love with your exhaust!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Doesn't it bother you that you have gauges for a Mach 1 or Cobra? I mean look at the redline... That would bother the sh*t out of me.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
flyboy1294,

Incredible transformation! I see you have a ton of work in your GT. It's really cool that you took before/after picks on each step. Great work!

Cams- If you're looking to stay naturally aspirated we have a few good options. We've sold a ton of Comp Cams Stage II XE270AH Camshafts and had awesome feedback. Check out some of the customer reviews on that link. Comp Cams give a killer growl and will make you fall in love with your exhaust!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Thank you! I do like the sound of the 270 at idle. It will be a few weeks before I have the funds to do a cam swap anyway so I will do as much research as possible.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Doesn't it bother you that you have gauges for a Mach 1 or Cobra? I mean look at the redline... That would bother the sh*t out of me.
I did notice that, but my car is an automatic unfortunately, so the shift points are up to the tuner to decide, not me.

Not to mention that I seldom redline the car, so its just not really an issue. I don't really have any alternatives unless I want to go back to the stock gauges and covert to blue LEDs (the rest of the dash lights are blue now), so I try not to let it bother me.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

looking good man. i can't believe no one mentioned it but a set of springs should definitely be next
Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brute03
looking good man. i can't believe no one mentioned it but a set of springs should definitely be next
I know that springs would make it look good, but with the longtubes I have around 4.5" of ground clearance in the center of the car. Speed bumps are terrifying to go over, and breaks in the pavement are avoided at all costs. I'm afraid that if I dropped it another 1.5" it would be undrivable in the somewhat rural area I live around.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Looking good my man, I love seeing cars progress. There just something about builds that mean so much more. Anyone can just go out and buy a new car, or a car already modded. Its just not the same as building one.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Looking good my man, I love seeing cars progress. There just something about builds that mean so much more. Anyone can just go out and buy a new car, or a car already modded. Its just not the same as building one.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Customizing cars is as fun as driving them in my opinion. And although it kills me to have to wait a few weeks between each mod, it forces me to stay interested in the car longer.

With that said, check out the updated pics I'm about it post.

Quick Reply: My Mustang's evolution (Lots of pics)