4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Mustang's evolution (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 AM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I love your car. You've done some really tasteful mods to it that really help set it apart.

Can't wait to see what you do next.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by '02gtgarrett
Looks awesome! i told ya that decklid panel would look great! completely finishes the rear of the car! And thanks. Its actually just a 99-04 manual shift boot from ebay. lol. it works though!
Sure did, I am digging the decklid panel for sure!
Well the boot looks mean. I love my Red-line Goods boot though. I'm tempted to get one for my Focus and color match it to my car. (Yeah, the Focus is a 5 speed but the Mustang is an auto. lol )

Originally Posted by antwaan
your rear looks really nice.
Thanks man!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by White03Vert
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I love your car. You've done some really tasteful mods to it that really help set it apart.

Can't wait to see what you do next.
Thank you, man. Hp292 cams are on order!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, it's been awhile! I have been updating my thread on another forum, but I have left this one to sit for way too long, haha.

I'll start by saying, if you are on the fence about doing an engineering degree, or doing a business degree, I strongly suggest you stray away from engineering. It's brutal! I've barely had to time to work on the car this semester.

However, over the last month or so, I ordered new cams, and did some other mods. I installed the cams at home in my garage. Here is the progress the car has made:

First off, I really don't like the Reverse Glow gauges. I went that route because I wanted the blue LEDs. However, the baby blue and red glowing in my face really weren't doing it for me. So I went with Mach 1 style gauges:

Name:  IMAG0272_zps099f3426.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  45.7 KB

I love them haha.

Also, installed some Bullitt style pedals and did the gas pedal mod. The pedals were a total beeotch to install, but I like how they look.

Excuse the dirty carpet:
Name:  IMAG0275_zps3ef44100.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  55.8 KB

Alright, now for the real meaty stuff. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have when installing the cams. Like I said, life took a couple weird turns for me, and I was working on the car from 2am-5am most nights. I mainly took videos of the engine bay so I could see how to route vacuum lines, which direction the cam lobes were facing, etc. I was so out of it you can't understand my mumbling in the video. So I will spare you all the trouble of watching those.

Here are the pics that I did take:

Got fan and all accessory pullies besides the balancer off:
Name:  IMAG0280_zps4019d578.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  53.0 KB

Driver's side valve cover off. It was AWFUL!
Name:  IMAG0287_zps742268c9.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  72.2 KB

Aaaaaaand it's broken.
Name:  IMAG0299_zpsb54e6ce1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  38.9 KB

Passenger side:
Name:  IMAG0303_zps4d422801.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  65.5 KB

Timing cover is gone:
Name:  IMAG0305_zps0fc9c0e8.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  64.7 KB

At that point, the FedEx truck came with my new cams. I put them in and reassembled things madly for the next few hours. Then, this past Sunday I finished it around 4am.

First start vid anyone?

I still need to snug down the harmonic balancer, and re-install my radiator fan. Car idles strong, but it lurches pretty hard in drive. I'm waiting on a tune from Trick Tuners to help the drivability.

Stay tuned for a tuned idle vid!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Yea man, get that tune installed. Amazing job, and best of luck to you. BTW, did you swap valve springs as well?
I say the same thing after every time I do work on the car. "It's alive!" Like the old Frankenstein flick!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
Yea man, get that tune installed. Amazing job, and best of luck to you. BTW, did you swap valve springs as well?
I say the same thing after every time I do work on the car. "It's alive!" Like the old Frankenstein flick!
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I did not swap valve springs. My car is relatively low mileage, and these cams are supposed to be very gentle on the stock valve train so I let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak.

Yeah I cross my fingers when I first started it lol. I didn't want to make a video, but then I thought if it blew up or caught on fire I would want everyone to see its final moments of glory hahaha.

I have the base tune installed! Car idles higher, and doesn't want to stall in gear anymore. Still needs some work, however. I have a video I'll upload soon. Stay tuned!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Nice! Subbed!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

How hard was the Bullitt instrument cluster install? I'm assuming all that is needed is to have it re-programmed to the correct mileage?

The smaller mods seem to make the biggest difference. I love the look of it.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Hey guys! I'm not dead! I don't know why, but I kind of migrated over to another forum over the last few months. I promise the car has continued to evolve this entire time, I'm nowhere near done with it.

I noticed that there are some of you guys on here that aren't on the other forums I frequent where I have been updated my build thread, so I am going to go ahead and update this thread just so everyone is up to speed. If you have already seen this on MM, then disregard.

I will copy and past this over from my other thread. If anything doesn't make sense just tell me and I will clarify!

Alright, lets see where I left off...

Here is a video of it with the cams installed and the tune finished:

Here is a small photoshoot I did at the beginning of the summer:

Name:  IMAG0512_zps79f57dfa.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  78.8 KB

Would look much better if I had Cobra fogs. I'll have to look into that!
Name:  IMAG0528_zps4694e5b0.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0516_zps2f650a97.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0520_zps1224d474.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0519_zps214d84c4.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  34.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0527_zpsab770718.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  43.1 KB

Around late June, I decided I was going to do a Tr3650 swap into the car. I found a wreck on Craigslist, and picked up everything I needed to do the swap. Unfortunately, once I got the trans home and cleaned up, I found that the seller had pulled a bait and switch on me, and sold me a T45. It was going to be more work than I wanted to put in the trans that held less TQ than my 4r75w, so I just sold the trans and took a loss on it. Before it left, I had it looking purdy though! Name:  IMAG0586_zpsc1d374de.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  56.5 KB

Last edited by flyboy1294; 12-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Here is the next update, and it's a big one.

Get the idea?

Got a good deal on a Paxton Novi 1000 around mid July. I know it is a tiny blower, but it will be able to exceed the stock bottom end's power limit, so I am very pleased. The blower came with a somewhat incomplete (and very jumbled) install kit. I am not yet sure what all pieces are here. I will make a list of what I know I have:

Blower with 3.5" pulley
Vortech discharge tube
Some strange intake tube
Bypass valve
90mm MAF (Not sure if Cobra or Lightning MAF. Part # is 1L3F-12B579-AB)
various oil fittings/lines
vacuum hoses
incomplete bracket.
bolts/clamps/etc
What appears to be new radiator hoses?

Like I said, the kit is very scrambled so it will take me a good amount of time to make heads or tails of it. Any input from guys with similar blowers is appreciated. Here is what else I know I need:
*Bracket
*39lb/42lb injectors
*340lph fuel pump.

Here is the whole kit I received.

The kit is kind of nasty, but I am working on cleaning it up. I am debating on where or not to paint the intake and discharge tubes black or competition orange. I am leaning towards black though.

The head unit is polishing up well! I am using that Brasso button polishing wadding. I might try some more aggressive metal polish or something.

Anyway, the only two things I lack are the fuel pump and the injectors. I could afford both right now, but there is no point to rush since my exhaust and bracket are backordered. I'm also going to go ahead and order the boost and wideband 02 sensors.

Progress is beginning to become visible as the month rolls in!

Got sick of waiting on my back ordered Pypes Pype Bomb exhaust. It had been 3 weeks, and I spoke to an AM rep on Monday, and he said the manufacturer had 43 back ordered and was not giving an estimated ship date. Screw that. Canceled my ordered and got a SLP Loudmouth II from them. I ordered it on Monday afternoon, and noon today (Wednesday) it was on my doorstep. Now THAT is more like it.

Vortech oil feed arrived. Just need some parts for the drain.

Ordered Lightning threaded IAT sensor + Pigtail today.

The main hold up, which is the bracket, is still scheduled to ship on the 2nd. I have harassed Summit so much 3 of the reps now know me by name. Needless to say, I will be asking for a tracking number first thing on Friday!

Now, remember the LM2 exhaust that arrived today? It's time for some pics!

I called and have a bay with a lift reserved 8am Monday morning to put this on. My pile of parts going on: BBK o/r X pipe and LM2 cat back Name:  IMAG0692_zpsd2e1bb64.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  76.4 KB

Just for the heck of it I laid it all out:
Name:  IMAG0682_zps753b97da.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  67.2 KB

LM2 mufflers look awesome! Name:  IMAG0684_zps2aed79e5.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0690_zpsc5f44968.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  48.6 KB

I am very pleased with the quality of the exhaust. The tips are the sexiest ones I have seen for a Mustang, period. The fitment almost seems nice just laying it all together. Obviously the exhaust note will be another major factor. So far I have tested this by putting my mouth up to the muffler and making engine noises. Results at this point are inconclusive.

Parts pile is getting bigger in my room!
Name:  IMAG0696_zpsb62c0099.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  62.2 KB

So, here are my plans this week and next week:
*Get tracking number for bracket
*Then, once bracket is confirmed shipped, order gauges, fuel pump, injectors, etc.
*Install new exhaust
*Paint supercharger intake and discharge pieces
*Get the NPT fittings for my oil drain

Assuming the bracket ships late this week, early next week, I expect to have the supercharger mocked up in the next 10 days.

Quick Reply: My Mustang's evolution (Lots of pics)