4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Battery Keeps going dead, any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery Keeps going dead, any ideas??

Ok, I Have a 2001 gt convertible. I had no electrical issues for years with this car. One day it decided not to start. The battery was pretty old so I got a new one and put it in. The next day it was dead... I went to NAPA and had the alternator tested and it tested good. As long as I drive it daily it won't go dead, but any longer than that and it's so dead that I can't pop the trunk and no lights come on. However, as soon as I hook jumpers up it starts right up without even clicking at all. Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

well obviously you have a parasitic draw going on. theres something electronic thats staying on. check interior lights/trunk lights to make sure they go out. Its a rather tedious process to chase draws down. Requires multimeter and lots of time. could also be a bad alternator sucking the battery down with the car off.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. I took out all of the easily accessible bulbs already.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

When this happened to me I found the ipod transmitter I had plugged into the cig lighter outlet was drawing too much to keep it lit as the car sat. I have to unplug it when I know it's going to sit.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

I thought about that as well and made sure nothing was plugged in. Does anyone know if the factory amps have a tendency to cause issues?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Hmm seems like a common issue, I tried pulling fuse 39 and I'll see if cutting power to the GEM solves the issue. If that doesn't work I have a small leak in the convertible top near the rear window like every other convertible owner and I read that other people were having issues with water leaking in and shorting out the amplifier. If anyone comes across more ideas let me know.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's a link to a recent post describing how to perform the "dark current" battery drain test...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

I had a similar issue with my 2003 GT, it turned out to be the stock factory radio per my buddy who is a ford tech. I had the 6 disc stereo from the factory, they often have issues drawing power. I replaced radio with an alpine and problem fixed.

I went through battery replacement twice and alternator before finally figuring out the problem. You can have Ford fixed your head unit for around $200 bucks, I just opted for aftermarket stereo with IPOD connection. Only thing, I lost that I liked from the factory unit as self adjusting volume.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Well I have the 6 disc but my rear window is leaking bad. I unplugged the amps and I'm going to see if that helps. If not I'll reconnect but I need to get my damn leaky top fixed and then I can save for a new stereo I guess.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Rush1791
1st Gear Member

buy one of those cheap test lamps with the alligator clip and needle. With the car off disconnect the ground from your battery, clip the test light to the ground wire terminal and the needle to the ground battery post, if something is drawing current the light will light up. I think the "instrument cluster/pcm" always stays on so you might want to pull that fuse and retest. If the light is still on start pulling fuses until the light goes off. Once you find the fuse that was making the light come on, except "instrument cluster/pcm" that system probably has a short somewhere. hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Battery Keeps going dead, any ideas??