4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

'99 Mustang GT Drive Shaft or Rear End Whine/Howl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Bear1209

Default '99 Mustang GT Drive Shaft or Rear End Whine/Howl?

Recently, I have noticed more and more a whine/howl coming from the rear end of my stock 1999 Mustang GT. It occurs at any speed and only when pressing on the accelerator. As soon as I let off the gas pedal, the noise stops. I know for sure it is coming from the rear end, so my thoughts that either the drive shaft or the rear end differential is the issue. Before I pay for a mechanic to take a look at it, does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Walkerusn

I just purchased a few months ago a 1999 Mustang GT convertible 35th edition. I have around 159,000 miles on it but it runs nice, except for the rear end noises similar to what you have posted. I have owned mustangs since 1968 but this is the first one that I have had issues with the rear end. My local mechanic is pretty sure that the noises are a combination of universals and rear axle bearings. Just to be sure and after talking to the mechanic we have decided to replace all of the bearings in the rear end and the universals to see if that will stop the noises. Just had the rear end serviced for oil changes and checks for damaged ring and pinion, all of that looks good. You will laugh but I am having the work done by my local Pep Boys shop. They have a certified mechanic who has accurately repaired and diagnosed all of the problems with my car to date. Planning to have this work done at the earliest on August 16 so I will add an additional comment if this fixes the problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

I always related rear end howl with the ring and pinion
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

If the ring and pinion are not original chances are the shop that did install didn't make the tolerances spot on. Tolerance for some components are as little as 6000th, anything above that can cause whine.

Have your rear checked and possibly re-built it
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Walkerusn

Thanks Gary, checked with the original owner, they never had the rear end changed. The howling is just part of it, there is a clunking sound and it is getting louder. Last night I found that if I turn to the left it gets louder but not when I turn right. Take the gas off and there is no sound except for a mild clunking sound. The original owner did not service the rear end since 90,000 miles. The car has almost 160,000 miles on it now. We did have the recommended service and found the differential oil level to be very low. We suspect that the low oil level may have played a part in this issue. Improper oiling of the rear axle bearings is what I think is the issue. Especially now with the new test I performed last night. I talked this over with my mechanic and we have decided to have the rear end torn apart and replace all of the bearings. With the ring and pinion out, the mechanic can check the play and the gears. In addition, I am planning to replace the universal joints on the drive shaft as well. There is a vibration at around 40 mph and I think it would just be smart to replace them. I am restoring this car for my wife. Mechanical is first then some upholstery work and finally a new paint job. The last thing we want to do is to replace the convertible top as well. We own the car outright and expected to have to put some money into it. Next year, I am planning to purchase our second mustang. I am looking for a nice 2005 to 2008 Mustang GT with a 5 speed manual transmission. Will update this post as we progress through the repair process for others as well. Thank you for your input!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

I have a howl/whine at any speed and changes when you press the acc pedal. I bought new gear kit from am with 3.73 ford racing gears and install kit with tuner. hopefully that fixes my issues
Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Walkerusn
Thanks Gary, checked with the original owner, they never had the rear end changed. The howling is just part of it, there is a clunking sound and it is getting louder. Last night I found that if I turn to the left it gets louder but not when I turn right. Take the gas off and there is no sound except for a mild clunking sound. The original owner did not service the rear end since 90,000 miles. The car has almost 160,000 miles on it now. We did have the recommended service and found the differential oil level to be very low. We suspect that the low oil level may have played a part in this issue. Improper oiling of the rear axle bearings is what I think is the issue. Especially now with the new test I performed last night. I talked this over with my mechanic and we have decided to have the rear end torn apart and replace all of the bearings. With the ring and pinion out, the mechanic can check the play and the gears. In addition, I am planning to replace the universal joints on the drive shaft as well. There is a vibration at around 40 mph and I think it would just be smart to replace them. I am restoring this car for my wife. Mechanical is first then some upholstery work and finally a new paint job. The last thing we want to do is to replace the convertible top as well. We own the car outright and expected to have to put some money into it. Next year, I am planning to purchase our second mustang. I am looking for a nice 2005 to 2008 Mustang GT with a 5 speed manual transmission. Will update this post as we progress through the repair process for others as well. Thank you for your input!
You're welcome. The clunking could also being in the drive shaft. If the car has 160 on the clock, definitely should probably go ahead and replace U-Joints. Which you noted. If you do a gear change go 3.73s. The stock 3.23's are just too weak in my opinion.

If you were in PA I would tell you to take it to Collis Truck repair in Bath, PA. The guy is a REAR WIZARD. For a swap to 3.73s everything, including rebuild would run you about $600.00. And he uses FRPP Gears

goodluck on your restoration..

I just restored a 2000 only to have it wrecked 3 days after I got it back from the last of the restoration work.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM
302_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
You're welcome. The clunking could also being in the drive shaft. If the car has 160 on the clock, definitely should probably go ahead and replace U-Joints. Which you noted. If you do a gear change go 3.73s. The stock 3.23's are just too weak in my opinion.

If you were in PA I would tell you to take it to Collis Truck repair in Bath, PA. The guy is a REAR WIZARD. For a swap to 3.73s everything, including rebuild would run you about $600.00. And he uses FRPP Gears

goodluck on your restoration..

I just restored a 2000 only to have it wrecked 3 days after I got it back from the last of the restoration work.
What part in PA? I'm in Delaware and looking to do a full built rear upgrade
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

It is called Collis Truck Center, the guys name is Carl

4996 Nor Bath Blvd
Northampton
(610) 262-6710
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Walkerusn

Okay everyone, this is the official response to my original inquiry. Just came out of the shop last week after replacing the universals on the driveshaft of my 1999 Mustang GT convertible. The mechanic brought me out to the car and showed my some of the oil he extracted from the rear end. Very fine metal filings in the oil and this was just serviced a couple of weeks ago. What caused it, no maintenance on the rear end for almost 80,000 miles. The mechanic I have worked on this car and said that he could not even feel the oil level when he test it. Another issue is the fact that the pinion bearing has a lot of play in it which according to the mechanic is the source of the howling. Have to drive this car for about 2 more weeks. It is set to go into the shop on September 2, 2013 for a complete rebuild with all new parts and may take up to 3 days to complete. When it comes back it will have a warranty. Thought I would post this update for others who may be experiencing these types of issues. Want to avoid this, have the oil check in the rear end every time you do an oil change. Thanks for all of the inputs from all of you mustangers....can't wait to get my car repaired.

Quick Reply: '99 Mustang GT Drive Shaft or Rear End Whine/Howl?