4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

500+ rwhp in a '03 gt? (long post!)

Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I'm not gonna argue whether or not nitrous is hard on motors or not.

Not being some one who has had it on my car, the biggest complaints I hear from owners are its expensive to fill the bottle, Its not there when you run out. SCers never run out of compressed air.

I personally dont like the added risk of fire from leaks or improper use/install/maint. There are just to many YouTube vids of n02 fires for me.

Its also illegal to use n02 on the street in some states.

I would go with methanol injection before n02. You still have to pay for the methanol & the PIA of refilling.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

I prefer to run something consistent every time whether track or street, and with Nitrous this requires a bottle heater which takes quite a bit of time to warmup when it is 50 degrees outside. Vice Versa when it is 100 degrees outside you have to cool the bottle down to actually lower the pressure back to normal, or purge the hell out of it and literally watch money go up in the air. Consistent bottle pressure plays nightmares on consistent tuning. You always have to have full botttles: yes bottleS because even on a 100 shot a 10lb bottle does not last that long. I would literally go through 2 bottles in one race day at the track.

Refilling bottles get's old and the refill shop was 5 minutes out of my way from work, but still annoying after a while. A 10 lb bottle does not function well about the 3 lb mark so you don't actually get it all out of it. I would only get about 5-6 runs at the track before having to switch bottles due to inconsistency after that.

A good racer friend of mine summed it up best one time. "a centrifugal blower car acts just like N/A but so much more power". Meaning they are consistent and the power is always there even at less than full throttle!

and as stated above filling X2 bottles is around $50-$90 depending on how much is left. that is just one weekend. a few thousand for a supercharger adds up quick $75 a weekend.

Last edited by Jay-rod427; 10-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
I prefer to run something consistent every time whether track or street, and with Nitrous this requires a bottle heater which takes quite a bit of time to warmup when it is 50 degrees outside. Vice Versa when it is 100 degrees outside you have to cool the bottle down to actually lower the pressure back to normal, or purge the hell out of it and literally watch money go up in the air. Consistent bottle pressure plays nightmares on consistent tuning. You always have to have full botttles: yes bottleS because even on a 100 shot a 10lb bottle does not last that long. I would literally go through 2 bottles in one race day at the track.

Refilling bottles get's old and the refill shop was 5 minutes out of my way from work, but still annoying after a while. A 10 lb bottle does not function well about the 3 lb mark so you don't actually get it all out of it. I would only get about 5-6 runs at the track before having to switch bottles due to inconsistency after that.

A good racer friend of mine summed it up best one time. "a centrifugal blower car acts just like N/A but so much more power". Meaning they are consistent and the power is always there even at less than full throttle!

and as stated above filling X2 bottles is around $50-$90 depending on how much is left. that is just one weekend. a few thousand for a supercharger adds up quick $75 a weekend.
Wow looks like there are more cons than pro's here..
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Honestly man jay rod has been the most knowledgeable member on this forum about nitrous, and if he is saying nitrous is fun but doesnt last long you know that it is true.

For a mainly street car nitrous is not the way to go IMO. I had nitrous on my car and pulled it off for a blower. Too many tuners that I talked to said that they wouldnt run nitrous they would run a blower, so before I even got it tuned for the spray i pulled it off to put the blower on.

Jay rod didnt you say something about switching to some form of a blower in the near future?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

OP - It is going to costly you roughly 10k give or take to get to 470 rwhp depending on what you already have for supporting mods. If you want 500 rwhp or more you will another 2k worth of fuel mods such as dual pumps, replace stock fuel lines, and or a cobra tank. Plus you will need built rear end another 1k and new tranny another 2.5k. This is an additional 4.5k in parts not counting labor. This was a reason why my last mustang, I stopped at 470 rwhp - plenty fast for a street car.

Note my fuel systems was 60 lb injectors, SCT 2600 MAF, stock fuel lines, 1 255 lb SVT Focus Fuel pump, Kenne Boost Pump. My fuel duty cycle at 6,800 rpms was at 99% duty cycle.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
OP - It is going to costly you roughly 10k give or take to get to 470 rwhp depending on what you already have for supporting mods. If you want 500 rwhp or more you will another 2k worth of fuel mods such as dual pumps, replace stock fuel lines, and or a cobra tank. Plus you will need built rear end another 1k and new tranny another 2.5k. This is an additional 4.5k in parts not counting labor. This was a reason why my last mustang, I stopped at 470 rwhp - plenty fast for a street car.

Note my fuel systems was 60 lb injectors, SCT 2600 MAF, stock fuel lines, 1 255 lb SVT Focus Fuel pump, Kenne Boost Pump. My fuel duty cycle at 6,800 rpms was at 99% duty cycle.
im plenty happy with 400hp for a street car. Right now im planning Lt's, and full exhaust, VT stage 2 cams, dyno tune, CAI, 3.73 gears. Should put me around 300hp?

Then later on a ps1c supercharger to put me at 410ish?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Sounds lke a good setup.

But take my advice, if you plan on going with a blower just get some 2.5 blower cams from CMS or bullet so when you put the blower on you are ready to go.

I have NA cams and I regret not going blower cams, my cams however did not hurt my performance much at all because they are CMS stage 1's and the LSA isnt too bad for a blower car.

But if you plan on getting a blower go ahead and get blower cams now instead of having to buy 2 sets of cams one day like im going to have to do eventually.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle

You could also get one of those stryker 310 lph pumps and use this same setup to lower the DC some on the FP. Even tho OP wont be taking his car to 6800 rpm on stock internals.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
im plenty happy with 400hp for a street car. Right now im planning Lt's, and full exhaust, VT stage 2 cams, dyno tune, CAI, 3.73 gears. Should put me around 300hp?

Then later on a ps1c supercharger to put me at 410ish?
FWIW, kugz and I both have PI swapped amd cammed motors and put down in the 300rwhp range...

Keep in mind we're at 10.6 compression instead of the PI's stock 9.7

In all honesty I cant picture a max effort cammed stock longblock making anything more than 280rwhp...

Work on suspension mods, good tires and some 4.10s for now and grow from there its still a plenty fun enough ride like that
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
FWIW, kugz and I both have PI swapped amd cammed motors and put down in the 300rwhp range...

Keep in mind we're at 10.6 compression instead of the PI's stock 9.7

In all honesty I cant picture a max effort cammed stock longblock making anything more than 280rwhp...

Work on suspension mods, good tires and some 4.10s for now and grow from there its still a plenty fun enough ride like that
i know alot of people love their 4.10s but wouldnt it be better going for 3.73s if iwant to run a s/c later on so i dont run out of 1st too fast?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 500+ rwhp in a '03 gt? (long post!)