4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Go Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Default Go Pro?

Does anyone use one? Have one? I've been looking into buying one to put in my car. Which brings up the question, where to mount it? I don't want to put it on the dash, i'd like to get a view of the inside of the car while being able to see out of the front. I thought maybe the suction pack would stick to the dome light, but I'm not sure if that will work. I thought maybe I could stick it on the rear window, but I'd think that'd be to far away.

What are your guy's thoughts on them?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't run a GoPro, but mounted my camera high on the windshield next to the mirror. I have not removed it in 3 years and gives very good perspective:

Name:  Cameramount2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  Cameramount1.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  142.7 KB

I have since removed the lever handle and fits snuggly up there. I have a power wire tucked up along the roof trim for when the battery runs low.

Example video ---> AX video
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Nice set up Jazzer. I thought about getting the GoPro myself, but I have about 4 different cameras (with video options) that I can put to good use.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I have one and it is one of the best and versatile cameras I own. If you wanted to put it on the dome light it would work they come with adhesive mounts with the camera that you can put anywhere you want. They are supposed to have the ability to control and view what your camera sees with your smart phone soon (been waiting all year for this )
It will also work just fine on the rear window with the suction cup. It will pick up the whole interior plus everything out the window
Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Jazzer, your setup looks great! And the video was pretty cool! I was thinking about doing what you did with my regular camera, but I also use it for other things. So I really didn't want to have to remember to take it out of the car or put it back (I know i'm that lazy). But as your camera, I want mine to be permanent, only take it out to upload/charge.

BraMas, that sounds pretty cool! That would be very handy to have on your phone, so you know your taking good footage, before you start filming.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

the new gopro hero3 will come with wifi(wifi remote control and ipod/droid apps). will be awesome as i mount mine on the outside of the car a lot, and thus when i'm out cruising on the highway i always come home to 30+ minute videos and those are a pain to edit.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Doyon
" ...So I really didn't want to have to remember to take it out of the car or put it back (I know i'm that lazy). But as your camera, I want mine to be permanent, only take it out to upload/charge... "
Exacery

It stays in the car 100% of the time, except for the above. I can take out in about 30 seconds and takes about 1 minute to put it back in. I have a second camera that works fine for regular use. This one is better, but pretty much know squat about all the settings, so cannot take advantage of it.

Jazzer
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I always wanted to get one of these go pro cameras, so they really don't fly off the car mounted outside?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Nope the suction cup is awesome. They will fall off a kayak and sink to the bottom of a lake real fast though (ooops!)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I always wanted to get one of these go pro cameras, so they really don't fly off the car mounted outside?
I've been over 140 with them and no issues. here's a couple outside vids i've taken with them. best thing about the go pro's is since they're in that plastic case, you get virtually no wind noise which is amazing for vids like these.

Quick Reply: Go Pro?