4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

maintenance for storing car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default maintenance for storing car?

hey guys, i live in WONDERFUL NY state here, so cars have to be put away for the winter

I just spent 8 hours between both cars yesterday, cleaned the interior and really coated the leather seats with some conditioning to keep them nice. I then washed both cars, clayed only my black 03 gt (only had 1 bar left), and then proceeded to wax the cars, they came out great!

Besides the cleaning i already did, maintenanace wise what could i do at home to keep my ponies in good condition when i store them (not in my own garage, at a company). Clean the throttle body is all i can think of?how exactly do you go about doing this by the way.

If you guys can help i'd appreciate any tips, thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Well that cleaning and waxing is a must.

Get the cars so that they are 1/4 tank of gas or less left in them so when spring rolls around you have to put fresh gas in em.

If you have a battery tender great use that, if not you can just pull the batteries out so that they dont get drained like mine does ( I have a aftermarket alarm system, so if you have stock alarm you should be fine leaving the battery in)

And next your going to laugh at me for this, but get drier sheets and put 4-6 of them in your car and 2-3 more in your trunk, the drier sheets, believe it or not repel mice and other rodents/bugs.

I have been putting the dryer sheets in my car every winter, and my dad has been doing the same to his camper and we have never had a problem with mice, it is definitely worth the $5 or whatever it costs to buy them.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Well that cleaning and waxing is a must.

Get the cars so that they are 1/4 tank of gas or less left in them so when spring rolls around you have to put fresh gas in em.

If you have a battery tender great use that, if not you can just pull the batteries out so that they dont get drained like mine does ( I have a aftermarket alarm system, so if you have stock alarm you should be fine leaving the battery in)

And next your going to laugh at me for this, but get drier sheets and put 4-6 of them in your car and 2-3 more in your trunk, the drier sheets, believe it or not repel mice and other rodents/bugs.

I have been putting the dryer sheets in my car every winter, and my dad has been doing the same to his camper and we have never had a problem with mice, it is definitely worth the $5 or whatever it costs to buy them.
yep, i figured the dryer sheets is important. Them damn mice are a real pain
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

It your car and if you want the chance of rust in your fuel tank do the 1/4 tank of gas thing. with only a 1/4 tank of gas you will get condensation in the tank causing rust and than the water will get in the gas.
FILL your tank up all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Ive never heard of condensate going in,

I never thought of it.

Have you ever had any go in your tank?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Fill the tank put stabil in it and dont start it untill spring.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

FULL tank of gas... and Stabil. I would put it on jackstands to keep the tires from getting flat spots if it was me.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

You'll also get condensation in your oil so don't change it til your ready to roll next season. I come back from deployments and my oil always has a sheen to it when I come back.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

I read an article in car and driver once about how to store a car I wonder if I can find it.....

EDIT: found it http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-to-...or-the-winter/

Last edited by speedkills; 10-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

If you don't have jacks, buy four of them carpet squares, I think they're about $2 each. Put stabil in the tank, run around for a bit, then top off the tank. Unhook the battery and put it on a tender if you have one. Change the oil before you put it into storage (and if you want, change it when you take it back out). Put drier sheets in the trunk and in the car. Put steel wool in the exhaust pipes. If you want, put a car cover on. I leave my Tundra in Alaska unattended for about 9/10 months a year, I do most of this, except wax it and leave it on a tender.

And to top it off, leave a nice smelling air freshener in the car!

Quick Reply: maintenance for storing car?