4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My own personal quest for a 300rwhp N/A 2 valve Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

Default My own personal quest for a 300rwhp N/A 2 valve Mustang GT

Started with this back in 2009 with Full Bolt ons and a tune.

Then after doing alot of research on "off the shelf" cams decided I actually wanted to do something with the car other the same boring bolt ons...So after seeing alot of good reviews of the few that had these cams I ended up purchasing "Hitech stage 2 cams"

Had them installed/degreed/and didn't upgrade the stock valve springs yet...It then rewarded me with it putting down 277rwhp on the Mustang Dyno compared to 232rwhp that it put down in 2009 on the mustang dyno with just bolt ons and tune.

Name:  scan0010.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  65.0 KB

So then I wanted to see what it would put down on a DYNO JET...with it resulting in 295rwhp and 297rwtq

So next up I was determinded to hit atleast 300rwhp...so I switched my off road H-pipe and chamberized Mac mufflers to and "off road X-pipe" "SLP loudmouth" and installed a "FRPP aluminum driveshaft"

Hit the rollers again and the results are in the video!

Now something worth noteing to is it was starting to have a "misfire" issue at certain RPM's and throwing a "PO300" code for a misfire...so it's having some sparkplug gap issues which will be addressed next along with updating the valve springs before my luck runs out lol.

Last edited by Js04sILVerBullet; 10-30-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Very impressive! I've only heard of very few (on here) that have actually made 300rwp or close to it. Congratz to you sir!

If I may ask, why did you set out on getting 300hp N/A? Do you plan to SC or TC it in the future?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

very nice. not many people can achieve that on cams alone, usually they fall a little short. deff need to get those valve springs replaced man.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doyon
Very impressive! I've only heard of very few (on here) that have actually made 300rwp or close to it. Congratz to you sir!

If I may ask, why did you set out on getting 300hp N/A? Do you plan to SC or TC it in the future?
Originally Posted by ctgreddy
very nice. not many people can achieve that on cams alone, usually they fall a little short. deff need to get those valve springs replaced man.
Thanks guys!

I have owned the car for six years and am the 2nd owner of it...When I first got it I wanted to do a vortech setup (like most lol) but decided I wanted to achieve a smaller goal of just going as far N/A as I can with it.

I probably wont ever end up Superchargering it and I guess 300rwhp N/A was just kind of a goal I was shooting for since I knew some people have hit that number N/A with just bolt ons/cams/and tune, but most fall just short of that number.

As for valve springs, I plan to get those replaced here real soon
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

when you do the valve springs might as well just pull the heads and get them ported as well .
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
when you do the valve springs might as well just pull the heads and get them ported as well .
That has crossed my mind

But I have a teskid aluminum block sitting in my garage waiting for me to do something with it so when the time comes I would like to do ported heads and differant rotating assembley with pistons to give me a nice bump in compression for even better N/A numbers
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

Also what's everyone's thoughts on an Edelbrock victor jr intake?

I know I have read that people with just bolt ons lose power but people with forced induction gain power...I just really can't seem to find anyone with dyno results that are running full bolt ons/cams/tune and staying N/A with the Edelbrock victor jr intake.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

you wont find many numbers because they dont put up good numbers imo. they make good peak numbers from the blown cars i've seen, but it shifts the powerband too far up for 98% of cars, especially NA. you might pick up 5-10 whp peak but lose that in the midrange which will equal out to probably a slower car, plus you lose torque like crazy down low. IMO it's not a good intake for an na setup unless you're taking it to at the very least 7k. i dont think the eddy comes into it's powerband until around 4k.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its not hard to make over 300rwhp na with a 2v, full bult ons, cams, and run a piston and jump the compressions to 11:1 or 12:1 and youll be well over 300.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Smile

My car lost power with the typhoon intake vs stock. When it was in the kids car before me it was makin around 340 wheel. So imo stock intake FTW.

Should add that my car is na. There was no boost or spray involved.

Quick Reply: My own personal quest for a 300rwhp N/A 2 valve Mustang GT