4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Coolant Leak Collecting Around Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
MustBeStang

Default Coolant Leak Collecting Around Fuel Injector

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum, or any other DIY Mustang forum, for several years (since I replaced the original defective all-plastic intake with the part-aluminium/part-plastic replacement in around 2002) because this car has been so amazingly reliable, even with my pretty hard street performance driving treatment.

My red 1998 Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC is leaking coolant and I can not determine the exact source. I can hear it hissing and can easily feel steam on my hand near the passenger-side fuel injector nearest the firewall. Coolant is only making one area wet (that I can see visually in this cramped area) and that is around that previously specified injector, and this coolant is pooling in the little recess where the injector inserts into the manifold. If I remember right, it just presses in with an O-ring, but maybe not.

I was a bit surprised to consider that coolant might be coming from that injector insertion point, but perhaps there is a cooling jacket there to cool the injector itself. Does anyone know?

Has anyone had/seen/heard-of a similar failure?

I hope I put in all the needed facts for someone to recognize this issue, but if I've forgotten anything, please ask for more detail.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
MustBeStang

Default Moderator, I Put This In The Wrong Sub-Forum Somehow

Hi Mod,

I thought I had picked the tech discussion forum for this, but see it ended up in General (non-tech). Not sure if I made a mistake.

You might want to move it to tech if you all do such things. Sorry for the extra work.

Mark
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
MustBeStang

Default I recreated this in the correct forum. You can delete.

Hi Moderator,

I realized I was being lazy asking you to move this posting, so went ahead and recreated it in the correct forum, but I can't find a way to delete this original one from the wrong one.

You can do that if you like.

Thank you,

Mark
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
dantey

sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you find out what the issue was?