4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Weird issue with auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Default Weird issue with auto transmission

when i go to shift the tranny into reverse or drive it dosent move i have to give it gas (prolly around 1500 or so rpm) until it will kick into both reverse and drive. i seem to hear fluid moving when i rev it (which i guess could be coolant) and when it does go into gear it kinda slams into gear but once in gear its strong i can floor it and it hooks right up and theres no slipping.

i would say its a torque converter issue but i don't understand why when its in gear its strong.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
when i go to shift the tranny into reverse or drive it dosent move i have to give it gas (prolly around 1500 or so rpm) until it will kick into both reverse and drive. i seem to hear fluid moving when i rev it (which i guess could be coolant) and when it does go into gear it kinda slams into gear but once in gear its strong i can floor it and it hooks right up and theres no slipping.

i would say its a torque converter issue but i don't understand why when its in gear its strong.
Does it go into gear quicker after it's at operating temp or about the same.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

it actually seems to go into gear better when its cold when i first start it. and when i come to a stop if its a very quick stop it still stays in first but if i sit for a second then it wont and i'l have to rev it again
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Check the Fluid level, with the car in Park and flat area. Let it warm up first. If the Level is in normal range, may be time for a fluid and filter change. The filters are a cloth type and harden over time, restricting the flow. But, Fluid level check it first.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

fluid level is good i just did a fluid and filter change...i bought the tranny from a junk yard and just put it in... the fluid that came out was pretty nasty and the filter was pretty nasty too. So honestly i really don't have a clue about the condition of the torque converter or anything. i almost hear a noise like you hear when your power steering is low... i don't think its the power steering pump but thats kinda the sound that i hear but the fluid is at the correct level
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

the fluid actually seems pretty black still even after i changed it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

and definitly goes right into gear for a minute or so when cold
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
the fluid actually seems pretty black still even after i changed it.
Whoever owned the car this transmission went in used it up. Transmission fluid has to be changed at certain intervals just like motor oil. The combustion process turns motor oil black and that's to be expected. But when transmission fluid turns that color it's gone too long with out being changed and it's time for a rebuild or replacement. The junk yard sold you a transmission that was used up and if it were me they would be taking it back and giving me another one.

Last edited by Mike T; 12-02-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike T
Whoever owned the car this transmission went in used it up. Transmission fluid has to be changed at certain intervals just like motor oil. The combustion process turns motor oil black and that's to be expected. But when transmission fluid turns that color it's gone too long with out being changed and it's time for a rebuild or replacement. The junk yard sold you a transmission that was used up and if it were me they would be taking it back and giving me another one.
I agree. Since you bought this tranny at the junkyard, they should have some kind of return policy. The noise you hear could be the torque converter. The turbine blades sound like they're rubbing against each other, not good, and there is no way they can blame you for that. When you changed the fluid, was there VERY FINE metal shavings in the pan, like clumped up mud? If so, that's the metal inside the converter getting into the internals of the tranny, and sticking the Valve Body.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
I agree. Since you bought this tranny at the junkyard, they should have some kind of return policy. The noise you hear could be the torque converter. The turbine blades sound like they're rubbing against each other, not good, and there is no way they can blame you for that. When you changed the fluid, was there VERY FINE metal shavings in the pan, like clumped up mud? If so, that's the metal inside the converter getting into the internals of the tranny, and sticking the Valve Body.
ya thats exactly what there was... like mud completely covering the magnet in the pan and the filter was gooey too... it just sounds like something is completely wrong with the tranny... i'm going to call them monday and try and get my money back.

Quick Reply: Weird issue with auto transmission