4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM
kurtis_garcia

Default Cam Help

Ok so im gonna order a set of cams..... Im not gonna go with stage one because I don't wanna go half ***...I got pretty much full bolt ons besides heads (got the stock heads) and cams.....other than that pretty much done...I know alot of pple just say put a blower on but im just gonna be using this a my dd want to hit 300 to the wheels cars paid off so just plan on getting a new 5.0.......just not sure which cams to get that will work with the stock heads...hear alot of pple say go with the comp cams, modular head shop, or cushmans......if anyone can help me out id greatly appreciate it...and yeh imma replace the springs as well if that helps any...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Modular headshops stage 2 cams or cms stage 2.5s and call it a wrap. No ptv issues with these.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt04
Modular headshops stage 2 cams or cms stage 2.5s and call it a wrap. No ptv issues with these.
this is the right idea. go with a cam that can be degreed in properly with no ptv issues, ptv stands for piston to valve. there are seveeral ppl out buying cams they have to retard the the degreeing on the cam to get ptv clearrance. this is leaving power on the table. yes they sound good but there are cars with smaller cams running faster times because theyre putting out more power under the curve.
also, because a cam is considered a stage 2 doesnt mean it stacks up against another stage 2 cam. you need to go by the specs of the cam. btw, just for referance, i have comp 270's and i have notches in the pistons for clearance.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
kurtis_garcia

Dang 141 views later amd finally I get a response hahah....see I was thinking either comp cams or the Cushman as well....I was actaully leaning more twds the cushmans but wasn't too sure....I heard about the modular head shop ones but when I pull them up that pple have installed to.me it sounds alil to quite for me I like the rump lope to the comps amd cush......I would figure to see about 30 hp to the wheels in growth amd im pretty sure that should get me to the 300 rwhp that im looking for.......and what would be the advantage or disadvantages to not degreeing the cams and just installing them as is when u get them
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I have MHS stage 2.5 Nitrous cams (.550/.540 lift 233/238 duration and 109 lsa) which are fairly close to the N/A cams and I also needed valve reliefs.

When you degree the cams properly you can advance or retard the opening of the valves in relation to the pistons. In a nutshell you are trying to achieve the greatest amount of time the valve is open, while minimizing the time it is open on the compression stroke in order to build more cylinder pressure. It factors into the engines dynamic compression ratio which is the actual amount of compression as opposed to its static C/R. This is why when it comes to cams bigger is not always better.

Just fyi mine are set 3 degrees advance from the engine builder.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 AM
kurtis_garcia

Okay I got ya on it thamx for the help you guys imma prder me a set this week found a guy that will install them for 400 buks without springs amd 500 with springs. ...grew up with him in hs and he has done work on my car before I guess its just time to bukle down amd decide which ine
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Cushman stage 2's are the biggest I would go with stock non valve cut pistons, even those are tight. I have the 2.5s in my new motor, but I have valve reliefs. and was told by Jim cushman that I needed the reliefs.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
kurtis_garcia

Do you happen to have a clip to post if love to hear it
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

The cms stage 2 na cams are a little taller than the ones I have and my car has a nice little lope to it. Not enough to scare ya but enough to let you know it's not stock.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
kurtis_garcia

Did u have to notch anything or did u just install the springs

Quick Reply: Cam Help