4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

1998 Mustang GT Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 AM
MustBeStang

Default 1998 Mustang GT Overheating

Hi,

My Stang was losing coolant VERY slowly (like over a month it'd just start to tun on the coolant light from the level going down a bit). We could not identify any leak points at this time. Then it started to lose coolant much faster. Though we could eventually see steam near the right-rear of the engine (near the heater water hose nipple), we couldn't really tell where it was coming from. Of course, as coolant would leak it would start to overheat.

I just replaced the intake manifold, which we found to be the cause of the leak. The old one had a crack near the heater water hose nipple.

Even after fixing this, and putting in a new water pump, the car is still overheating. I don't see any signs of coolant leaking any more.

It does not seem to be letting any water into the block. It does have a new thermostat. When I filled it up with water after the repair, it topped off, but never went down again (from the thermostat opening and allowing water into the engine block). Also, the internal heater never gets hot.

I really don't know what to do next.

Suggestions?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Check to see if the Rad is clogged, when u took the intake manifold off what did the hose and connection look like that runs the fluid from the pump through the valley of the block?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM
MustBeStang

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Check to see if the Rad is clogged, when u took the intake manifold off what did the hose and connection look like that runs the fluid from the pump through the valley of the block?
I did look at the outside of the water pump tube under the intake manifold, and it appeared to be okay. There were no signs of it leaking. I didn't check to see if it was clogged.

Is there any way to check if it is clogged without taking the intake off again? Is there a way to clear the clog without taking the intake off again?

How would you suggest I check to see if the radiator is clogged?

Thanks for your reply.

Mark

Last edited by MustBeStang; 02-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

If its not leaking but overheating you may have an air bubble. Let that sucker run with the cap off for a bit. Sometimes Jacking up the front end and trying this works for some vehicles. Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

+1 for air bubble. See if you can borrow/rent a vacuum filler. You use shop air to put the cooling system under vacuum. Then use the vacuum to fill the coolant. Makes bleeding air a thing of the past
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

When is it over heating? Driving or sitting still?

If it's sitting still or in town, pull the plug wire harness off the fan and check to see if they are melted/fried. Also, while you're looking at the fan, make sure it's working. It should be free spinning when off. With the car on, turn your A/C to max and the fan should kick on. Also, let the car get up to operating temp (A/C off) and see if it kicks on (stock fan has two speeds).