4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

1997 Ford Mustang GT; trunk and passenger door locked, can't open with the key!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
JohnLanier

Default 1997 Ford Mustang GT; trunk and passenger door locked, can't open with the key!

Hello..I'm a new new member with a strange problem:

-->1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L
-->Bought used, October 2012
-->NO REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY PROVIDED WHEN I BOUGHT IT
-->Anti-theft protection system, but not sure if it is stock or not
-->Replaced IAC Valve last weekend, per Advanced Auto diagnostic
-->(don't think it's related to this problem though)

1. This past Saturday morning (and every day since I bought it) I could open my trunk with my key; by this past Saturday evening I couldn't, nor could I open the passenger-side door. Luckily, I can open the driver-side door with the original key AND the backup key I had made at Tru Value, but I can't open either the trunk or the passenger side door with either key. It's behaving like the anti-theft system has been triggered in some way, but I can't say for sure..?

3. After reading the owner's manual and some googling on the problem, I noticed that the instrument panel fuse box (right underneath the steering wheel, near my left knee) was knocked loose; I took it off and snapped it back in place, but the problem persists.

3. I thought it might be a bad fuse (location 6, amp 15), but the same fuse controls the following things that are all working fine:

a. Speed Control Amplifier
b, Warning Chime
c. Clock
d. A/C Heater Control Assembly
e. Anti-theft controller module
f. Remote Keyless Entry Module

4. Some other threads say that the anti-theft control assembly is in the trunk, which of course I can't open :-(

Any suggestions/thoughts/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--JohnL
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Just pop the trunk or lay the back seat down.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
JohnLanier

Heh, something else interesting about this car..the user manual says that the manual trunk release button is in the glove compartment, which it isn't (believe me, I've looked)..so once I find the manual trunk release (or lay the back seat down..duh, never thought of that), maybe I can try to figure out what's going on.

I also checked the instrument panel fuse (position 6, amp 15) and it's fine, as I suspected.

--John L.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM
JohnLanier

Default RESOLVED..

In a nutshell, I found out from a local ford dealer (per the VIN) that this car came with no remote keyless entry installed..so I went to a local audio dealer and had one put in..problem solved, i.e. the trunk and doors open automatically now. I still can't open the trunk or passenger-side door manually with the key, but that'a another problem for another time :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

previous owner probably changed driver door lock and didnt give you the key for the other door and trunk