4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bad news about oil leak, what should I do? (They drilled into my engine???)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Angry Bad news about oil leak, what should I do? (They drilled into my engine???)

So I took my car in to get the oil leak fixed and was surprised at what the mechanic said. It turns out someone used a bigger bolt to screw back in the valve cover on the right side. They actually drilled into the head to re thread it and that's why my car is leaking!! I'm like wtf who does that?!?

I had my cams put in over a year ago so no way I can prove that shop did this to my car. The mechanic at the shop said he can't fix it and to go to a machine shop. Is there an easier way to fix this leak? He said that I have to get new heads or something since they drilled into it when putting the bigger bolt. What do I do? I am really pissed off that someone would even do that kind of ****! Where do I go from here?

Last edited by Cali_Swag; 03-13-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Any pics?? Tryig to picture how this could of happened, but um sure u can weld it shut
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Depending where you are at in Cali I would call GTRHippo (in Rancho) and take with them. They do amazing work and might be able to give you some ideas to try and fix it.

Matthew
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Any pics?? Tryig to picture how this could of happened, but um sure u can weld it shut
Taking a picture won't really show anything. It is the furthest right bolt on the right valve cover. It is bigger than all the other bolts clearly. I'll try to take a pic tonight. The mechanic said the guy who installed my cams probably stripped that bolt and then drilled a bigger hole to re thread it. Maybe he doesn't know for sure because he didn't take off the valve cover. I guess I'll have to get a second opinion. I don't think someone would just drill a bigger hole after stripping a bolt, but then again I don't know much about that stuff.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Depending where you are at in Cali I would call GTRHippo (in Rancho) and take with them. They do amazing work and might be able to give you some ideas to try and fix it.

Matthew
Looks like a good shop but I'm in norther cal (Sac). Know anyone up here?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

U sure its just not a bolt with a bigger head on it? Can u see a hole in the head?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
U sure its just not a bolt with a bigger head on it? Can u see a hole in the head?
No it's solid, I'm just saying what the mechanic told me.. I definitely have an oil leak and it is definitely coming from that valve cover. I just don't know what I need to have it fixed. I guess I need to find a new shop. It's not really that bad of a leak but it smells every time I drive the car because oil drips on to the cats.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

If we had pictures of the whole with the valve cover off we could help you a little better

But Im sure you can fill the hole back in with weld and retap it, so a machine shop should be able to do it no problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Well sounds like taking it to a machine shop is my best choice. I would open the cover but I'm not sure if there is anything special I need to do when taking it off and putting it back on. Any tips? Or does it just bolt on and off and nothing else is needed (like rtv or something)?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 AM
Risky guy

Oh man that is a sin , sorry for your troubles.
Hopefully you get it sorted outs.

Quick Reply: Bad news about oil leak, what should I do? (They drilled into my engine???)