4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Had a wreck. Insurance wants to put the car on the rack? Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Makes sense. They want to check out the damage to the bottom of the frame on the front end. I think you have a chance to not have this car totalled but it all depends on exactly how much carnage there is up under that nose. I just got done totalling my car(far worse than yours) and they asked to have it towed and inspected before quoting me. Its pretty normal.

Also make sure you get everything out of the car ASAP. Tow lots/insurance lots will steal **** out of your car in a heartbeat. They stole a set of ratchet wrenches, an I-Pod, some other random electronic devices and tried to steal my gauges out of my interior.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Thanks HW, it's empty except for my sons booster. If someone steals my stereo, it's on the shop. I used to live in San Diego, and Philly. Rule of thumb is leave nothing in view, not even change. It's not so bad down here on the Coast, people are really respectful of other peoples property.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Thats fixable. the fender mounts bend pretty easily and that is why the door caught it. You really dont need to replace the rad support as all it does is allow for body panels to mount and hold the radiator.

I wrecked my fox and just yanked the rad support back out with a lawn mower.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

It's just amazing to me how that energy is designed to transfer through the car. I would do all of the work, but I just had shoulder surgery three weeks ago. Which is why I ended up in the ditch, didn't have the second hand to control the wheel it just spun right out of my hand.
The cheap plastic headlight mount is busted for sure, I don't know what plastic material that is, but it's way too brittle. Well, lesson learned and been calling myself a dumba** since Monday. So, it's at a buddy's shop, and he's handling all the mechanical after all is done on the rack. If we get that far....
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Update! Tires were able to be salvaged and re-inflated, my buddy drove it to the body shop to put it on the rack, steering wheel however was off to 1 o' clock from center.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Oh that's not bad man, I think you'll be ok. You made it sound much worse. Bags are good which helps A LOT. Also the lower miles do too, and the car looks VERY clean, which will also help you. Nice car, hope to see her back on the road soon.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Thanks 69, should've used that thing three feet above my a**, and I wouldn't be in this situation. Definitely wasn't ready for stick driving!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Update, the insurance has allowed my pony to live. Work begins Monday!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM
90_notch
1st Gear Member

It does not look to bad. Hopefully they will fix it for you. If you have any receipts from upgrades, be sure to show them to your insurance agent so they can add them to the value of the car. It may help them in a decision to fix it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
So I had a fender bender and put my 2000 GT in a ditch where point of impact was almost to the outside of the passenger bumper. All that energy of course buckled the fenders, hood, and broke the radiator mount.
Now I met with the insurance guy, and he wants to have it towed to the body shop and have it put on the rack to test frame alignment. How is this accomplished in our cars when it's unibody? I'm just not seeing where this is going with this being done. Thanks for your insight/advice.
If your unibody did get tweaked, I assume you would want it fixed.. Modern frames can be straightened so it isn't necessarily totaled if it needs some tweaking. It just depends on the cost to fix.

If they do start talking about totalling it, be prepared to defend the value of the car. Get your agent into the act, they don't want to lose a customer over mis-valuing your car. Ask the adjuster how they value the car and make sure you are getting full value for everything they don't consider-upgrades, low mileage, over-all condition, etc.

best of luck!!

Quick Reply: Had a wreck. Insurance wants to put the car on the rack? Advice please!