4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.10's installed..not impressed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

The Golden Rule trumps all Internet lore or Manufacturer suggestions: Just don't be a dip**** when you install your crap.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
The following quote comes directly out of the installation instructions on Richmond Gear website:

"A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high
numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive
heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the
gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.
Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving
speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for
30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times."

This comes from one of the large reputable gear manufacturers.
Good thing I don't install Richmond gears.

How many sets of gears have you installed? Go on.... Ill wait. I can't count anymore. I speak from experience. So you can read all you want about it I'm telling you guys what I know.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Ok well today I went on the highway and I'm now convinced I do have 4.10's..lol
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Heat cycle for gears is a myth and total BS, manufacturers claim 20hp from a CAI too doesn't mean its true. Every serious performance shop and racer will tell u the same thing, install and beat the crap out of em its fine. Mine didn't even have a mile on them before they say a 3rd gear brake stand and a glob of abuse and my rears been fine for years.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I asked my shop about a break in period and they said there wasnt one lol. So i went out and beat on it right after I left lol.

Are u still unhappy with the 4.10's?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
I asked my shop about a break in period and they said there wasnt one lol. So i went out and beat on it right after I left lol.

Are u still unhappy with the 4.10's?

I haven't slammed through all he gears yet at WOT. I'm letting the gears "settle in" before I go all out. I will soon know if these r bad ***.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
I haven't slammed through all he gears yet at WOT. I'm letting the gears "settle in" before I go all out. I will soon know if these r bad ***.
Heat cycles and break ins? People are still worried about that? If installed properly there's no need to bother with a break in. Seriously, don't bother.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
jtgerik

Any rotational part <gears,cranks,pistons,whatever> that is held in place by a locking device of some sort <nuts,bolts,shims,pins,whatever,etc> is going to be subject to a "break in" of some sort.. particularly when force <see torque/power> is added to said object. this is the nature of mechanical devices regardless of WHAT they are. With that said.. Can you take a brand new rear end out and roast the rubber right off the tires through all the gears? Absolutely. it'll prolly handle it. But can you also take the same rear end out and scatter it everywhere? Absolutely again. I tend to be more conservative when I break in new items.. slow and steady, with occasional outbursts of power/torque/throttle/whatever.. I've seen both sides of the coin.. Seen people do break in "right" and still fail.. seen people do nothing but abuse it and succeed.. I think luck sometimes plays a part.. *shrugs*
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Just because heat cycling isn't done doesn't mean that the gears will definitely fail. The point is that heat cycling helps to ensure that the gears are best suited for hard usage. A I said above, this has all been debated to death in the past and everyone has a position.

My feeling is that why wouldn't you want to do the simple heat cycling for the reassurance of durability?

To each his own, but I will always heat cycle my gears before I abuse them.
I haven't personally installed any by-myself, but I have had 11 sets of new gears over the past 25 years and only one shop ever told me they didn't believe in breaking in gears. A couple of those shops have been VERY reputable race car shops.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I haven't personally installed any by-myself,
Well, looks like we are done here

Quick Reply: 4.10's installed..not impressed..