4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

GRRR stupid car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

My first thoughts are that the injectors, all of them, share a common +12V feed (as stated earlier the PCM connects them to ground to open them), I do not know how this is physically wired in the harness however it is possible that they are "daisy-chained" and that a poor connection at the #3 injector cut power to the #4. No power = no fuel = lean...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

thanks for the help cliff. Got some interesting news. So at this point i dont have access to a scope, still trying to find one. But i got around to testing some stuff. On the snap on scanner we were able to watch a full on miss at idle on number 4, when unplugged only got twice as many misses. Went and romped on it and the car didnt miss for the first time in weeks, then back at idle missing like crazy out of 4. put a noid light on it, was slightly dimmer and appeared to be firing about half as much. So now i dont appear to have a problem with 3 but have a problem with four, and what i was pretty sure was an injector on 3, may have been a cop since the cop on 4 is whats bad now, only of course its the signal not the cop itself.

So i have a few questions, i have the weapon x cops in there, a tech mention rf interference possibly being a problem. Which we know can be an issue with those cops but i dont see it causing this big of a problem, or the problem switching around and being intermittent. Also want to know if the car picks up a miss from a cop like that does it pull fuel from that injector? because that would explain the lean bank one code im still getting. lastly is there a way to test the signal voltage while the car is running? or a way to find out if the pcm is dropping the ball without a scope? I spend all this time testing the car and kinda end up with more questions. At this point my next step is pin out tests to check the wiring harness to make sure the wires are sound. thanks youve been a big help so far

edit: i noticed in the glimpse at the pin out that the injectors to sort of share wires, but they share them in a 2,4,6,8 and a 1,3,5,8 at least from what i can tell so having wiring issue would mean i have a common wire problem in both sets?

Last edited by Bman2000; 04-23-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How old are the WeaponX COPs, are they the EFX oe "street" model units/ If old or the street model units pack them all up and throw them in the trash. as they are junk.

I realise this is contrary to my initial impressions (however read all my threads re: WX COPs) , howeverr only the very latest EFX model coils are worth anything and even those offer nothing vs. the stock COPs. Had I know you have WX COPs I would have said all this much sooner.

Their design is flawed as:
  1. They place the coil core partially into the plug well where it cannot dissipate heat fast enough, which is complicated by the solid brass connector that conducts heat from the plug's core the center electrode) directly to the secondary windings.

Ford's engineers wisely place the coil above and outside of the plug well where it was better ventilated, and connected the output to the plug with a stainless steel spring that is far less heat conductive than 3/4" long piece of brass.
  2. They were originally designed to have much higher output voltage that the stock COPs, so high in fact that they discharged through their boots into the plug well as well as firing the plug. This causes them to overheat and self-destruct as they are then dumping 80 to 90% of their chrage each time they fire. Pull one out and smell it--it will smell burned.

These two points would account fully for the odd-ball performance you observed with the Snap-On scanner. I went through 3 sets of WX COPs; the first burned up in 2500 miles, skipping at low loads and cruising, the second lasted 1500 miles or so when the engine would not start after a short stop following an extended run on the highway. In both instances they smelled like burned electronics/electrical equipment when removed.

I spent several months overall working with them to resolved these issues, measuring plug well temperatures, providing scope traces, etc. and then heard nothing for over a year when they sent a set of the latest EFX COPs . Ran those for a while and they performed OK (no better than stock, see below), but I then sold them to a fellow in Australia and went back to my original stock COPs.

The overheating and random path discharge problems seemed all corrected in the latest EFX models, however this was achieved basically by reducing the output to the point that they have no advantage over the stock COPs--in fcat in tests I ran their maximum output was 3-4 kV less than the stock COPs.

Short story, get rid of the WX COPs and I think you will be rid of the problems...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

I have the super high output efx coils. So far none smell funny, and I just got the whole set back from them because they were to tight to put on right the first time. I used them for a few thousand miles between na and forced induction. I haven't had a single problem with them, and I read both of your posts before I bought them. I knew it was a risk. But what I don't understand about the issue is I switch the cops around and so far the problem never moves when I do that. Doesn't that mean that at this point it's unlikely they are the issue? I'd put my factory ones back in but they are in bad shape and I'd have a miss from those for sure. Are you a supporter of the eBay factory cops? Or do you spend 108 dollars a cop from the dealer?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Then there would seem to be nothing else I can add...
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

I'm not disagreeing with you about the cops, that's been at the back of my mind the whole time. But do you have a recommendation for a cop to buy? Or when you say factory do you truly mean ford? Because if I can get the for a few hundred I might buy a set as back up and if it fixes the problem then great otherwise I can have them I case I run into issues in the future. I just don't have the funds to buy factory ford at 100 each.