Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
razor9546

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Default How involved to install a catback with no lift?

I was originally going to get SLP LM1's or Flow 44's welded in but the shop I went to said it's not worth it considering the cost of pipes to make it fit, labor, etc. They said spending a few hundred more dollars I can get a cat back, which will sound better and actually give hp gains, which they are correct and I do agree, but i'm not looking to break the bank. I'm pretty sure I want this http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.html (my max is 500 for a catback system) the only other in my price range is flow american thunder which i think is not worth $500 for a small difference over the stock sound. Problem is how involved is it really to install it yourself without a lift? I have tools to cut out the stock exhaust and two jack stands and a jack obviously, but I don't know if i can get it done with just that. Just looking for some advice or tips from anyone who has experience doing exhaust work without a lift. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
razor9546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

I am pretty sure you can install a cat-back without a lift. This is a mod that many people do and I highly doubt all those people went to a shop with a lift.

If you read the instructions on the link you provided it does not mention a lift is necessary. (edit: reread your post...it does not look very difficult)

I have to question though how the shop figures spending a little more on a catback will actually give hp gains because I doubt catbacks add any noticeable power.

Last edited by 99GTvert; 04-22-2013 at 08:42 PM.
99GTvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
razor9546

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTvert View Post
I am pretty sure you can install a cat-back without a lift. This is a mod that many people do and I highly doubt all those people went to a shop with a lift.

If you read the instructions on the link you provided it does not mention a lift is necessary. (edit: reread your post...it does not look very difficult)

I have to question though how the shop figures spending a little more on a catback will actually give hp gains because I doubt catbacks add any noticeable power.
well they said getting a cat back is the "correct" way rather then having 2.5 in mufflers welded into 2.25 pipes. well, they did say i should get a 3in pipe magnaflow magna pack catback which would add some hp, but i really don't care about hp gains, i'm just looking for a nice loud sound.
razor9546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

If you just want to change the sound then get some new mufflers welded in.

The previous owner of my 99 had flowmasters welded in...and I don't think anyone can really tell they were just welded in versus the actual catback without looking underneath the car.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

Ive built entire cars with no lift, all u need is a jack and a jackstand or two
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
AMDanBailer
Platinum Sponsor

Vehicle: 2012 Boss 302
americanmusclefb americanmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor9546 View Post
I was originally going to get SLP LM1's or Flow 44's welded in but the shop I went to said it's not worth it considering the cost of pipes to make it fit, labor, etc. They said spending a few hundred more dollars I can get a cat back, which will sound better and actually give hp gains, which they are correct and I do agree, but i'm not looking to break the bank. I'm pretty sure I want this http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.html (my max is 500 for a catback system) the only other in my price range is flow american thunder which i think is not worth $500 for a small difference over the stock sound. Problem is how involved is it really to install it yourself without a lift? I have tools to cut out the stock exhaust and two jack stands and a jack obviously, but I don't know if i can get it done with just that. Just looking for some advice or tips from anyone who has experience doing exhaust work without a lift. Thanks.
Razor,

That SLP system will be awesome on your New Edge GT! A catback exhaust can be installed without a lift pretty easily. I installed Long tubes, X-pipe and a catback in my driveway on my 2004 Mach 1 without any issues!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
lizzyfan
Underboss

Vehicle: 98 GT Blumurder

Put it on jack stands and have a bud give you a hand, easy!

540 rwhp 477 tq
Vortech SQ to T-trim upgrade
MHS Stage 2 heads/cams
Tuned by Matt at Performance Evolution
11.055@129 MPH 1.75 60'
lizzyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT

I used tire ramps when I installed my catbacks and there was enough room. A lift would be nice for the extra room but jack stands or a set of tire ramps is all you need.
"Remember, in the end, nobody wins unless everybody wins." ~ Bruce Springsteen
BTR-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Mustang GT

As said before, 4 tall jack stands, floor jack and you're golden. A buddy would make it a little easier as far as holding the exhaust up etc, but you can do this by yourself. Just takes a little effort.

KENNE BELL 2.1L = SOLD
KENNE BELL 2.8H = Waiting to be installed
Tim99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement