4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New and need advice on a 2001 GT

Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Get the 01 V8. Auto v6ers are for females
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Cbird

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really want to get a new edge style mustang GT and I figured this one was a good find. It has 3.73 gears, throttle body, magna flow mufflers, K&N ram air intake, and shorty headers. I have no idea what any of this is with the exception of the mufflers.

All of the other mustangs of that year in my area seem to be priced the same, I haven't haggled with the stealership at all yet either. I plan on swinging out tomorrow. I bet I can at least get them down to 8,500.

I don't mind putting a little bit of money into the car since it's so cool and I'm pretty good at working on cars. I did such things on my V6 mustang as: Fuel pump, spark plugs, GT sway bars, lowering springs, the big 3 (car audio thing), brake rotors and pads, etc etc. Could I handle any regular wear and tear stuff like this on the 2001? I'm not afraid of grabbing a chilton and getting to work.

I think I'll have them get me a carfax tomorrow and go from there. What are some red flags I should look for? And when I inspect the car more carefully tomorrow what should I look for as far as if the car has been maintained, if it's even possible to tell.

Thank you so much guys.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Cbird

And if I understand correctly a 2001 mustang could potentially have more issues because of it's age even though it has less miles. Would kind of things in a car get wore out from age not necessarily usage? Just trying to get a good idea of what I'm up against here.

Sorry for being ignorant on the subject. Maybe I'm not ready for a V8 lol
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

If you really want a New Edge, keep looking and find a stock adult owned car. 3.73s and shorty headers scream drag launches to me.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Cbird

All right. I will keep looking. Good advice, thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cbird
All of the other mustangs of that year in my area seem to be priced the same, I haven't haggled with the stealership at all yet either. I plan on swinging out tomorrow. I bet I can at least get them down to 8,500.
There's the problem. A dealership will charge a lot more for the same car from a private party. Where in Iowa are you located? I'd get to a large city near you... Minneapolis, KC or Chicago. Looks someplace outside your local area where Mustangs will be more popular. You'll save a few grand on one and be able to have more of a selection.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Getta 03-04 cobra! Sex
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

There is a lot to be said for "Better the devil you know than the devil you don' t know" philosophy, but there is also equal strength in "You only live once" and "You're only young once". When I was 18, my Mom co-signed for me to buy a 5 year old 1970 Mustang coupe with a 351 Cleveland. I still have dreams of driving that dark metallic green beauty to this day. Lost her to a drunk mechanic who literally went crazy putting in new rings. She threw 2 rods going 40 mph 2 days after i got her back.The mechanic went to the nut-house. If you are young and semi-dependent on your parents to help out financially, I definately wouldn't buy the GT without first winning them over. Having the car thorougly checked for weaknesses in the drivetrain and electrical system and found to be solid would probably do that. The dealer probably paid half of the asking price and will probably take $7,000 for it if you tell him that's your ceiling, leave your phone number and walk out. Also don't most states have a 3 day buyers remorse rule on car purchases? I might be pulling that outta my dessicated **** but, anyway the regret of not buying can be as bad as the regret FOR buying.
Please forgive my rambling trip down memory lane.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

See I say get the new edge. The 4.6 is a very durable engine with over 250,000 miles on cop cars and taxis that have the same motor. If the previous owner was halfway competent with oil changes you will be ok. Make such the clutch feels tight and the tranny shifts good and you will be ok.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
If you really want a New Edge, keep looking and find a stock adult owned car. 3.73s and shorty headers scream drag launches to me.
I disagree.....I would think a drag car would have at least 4.10s if not 4.30 and long tubes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New and need advice on a 2001 GT