Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
WJL
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang
Default Trying to figure out what I got 98 GT

Just bought a 1998 GT the car has some upgrades BBK 70 mm TB, BBK Shorty Headers, SS Exhaust, Eibach Springs, control arms, street and strip NITTO's. anyhow I am trying to figure out if i already have PI heads or if they are stock. Any chance there is an easy way to identify what I got?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
JC316
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
Just bought a 1998 GT the car has some upgrades BBK 70 mm TB, BBK Shorty Headers, SS Exhaust, Eibach Springs, control arms, street and strip NITTO's. anyhow I am trying to figure out if i already have PI heads or if they are stock. Any chance there is an easy way to identify what I got?
Identifying the heads is difficult without taking either the intake off or the valve cover. You can check if it's a PI intake pretty easily based on how deep it is. Just curious, but what color is that car?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

What part of PA are you in?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
WJL
1st Gear Member

I am from Pittsburgh "South Hills", its black I will put better pictures on soon. What do you mean by how deep it is?

I bought the car for $1050.00 had to put a door and fender on it I got less than $1500.00 in it including parts, state inspection and registration. My son and I are just having a blast
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
BraMas

well I hope you did some research and your not putting $ into those crappy NPI heads that would have come on a 98?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
JC316
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
I am from Pittsburgh "South Hills", its black I will put better pictures on soon. What do you mean by how deep it is?

I bought the car for $1050.00 had to put a door and fender on it I got less than $1500.00 in it including parts, state inspection and registration. My son and I are just having a blast
NPI is on the left in this picture.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 Mustang GT

Look at the picture and determine which intake you have. If its the NPI then you know it still has NPI heads.
However, if it has the PI intake..........Keep searching because a lot of people put PI intakes on NPI heads.

I just put on PI heads and you can't even tell I had it apart...........(and thats how I like to do things....).
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
WJL
1st Gear Member

Thanks, i'm on way way out now to open the hood and check, will let you know later tonight.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
WJL
1st Gear Member

Yea baby the intake is the deeper of the two, after taking a closer look the motor it has been worked on (you can see the little dabs of gasket sealer on the corners of the valve covers) by the looks of things i'm thinking i got the PI intake and heads. Being the PI heads increase the compression ratio would it be reasonable to expect higher than normal (NPI) PSI if i were to take a compression test?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement