4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

03 mustang GT Whistle

Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Bundleojoy

Default 03 mustang GT Whistle

Hello, I am new to the forums and just joined today so if im posting in the wrong area please tell me so. Ok with that out of the way here is my problem. I have a 2003 Mustang GT coupe that I have had since about 2010. I purchased it in pretty bad condition but I have fixed it up to what you see in the picture and have been able to fix all the problems up to until this one. After sent my mustang to have the clutch swapped it started making a noise. The noise was very quiet at first and was almost unnoticeable and only did the noise until about 5 mph but it over time has gotten louder and makes the noise for a larger mph range When I start to move forward or when I am coming to a stop my car makes a odd whistling noise and when I move to a about 10-15 mph that noise goes away but a almost inaudible high pitched whine can be heard. I have tried multiple ways of starting and stopping with the clutch and and out, different gears including neutral, and the only thing I havent tried but I will next time the noise begins is complete shut off the engine and see if the noise continues to help narrow down the possibilities. but the most annoying part is the noise is random and by that I mean it will do it constantly for 3 days then go away for 2 or do it half a day and go away. I have sent my car to my mechanics multiple times to have this fixed but everytime I send it they cant hear the noise because it never seems to want to do it for them (I honestly am starting to believe my car is sentient and is trying to **** me off). I recently just got it back from them for the 2nd or 3rd time and it is still doing it. If I could somehow track down the noise when I do it I would point them in the right direction but unfortunately im in the car and can only hear it coming from underneath. Unfortunately the computer I am posting on doesnt have the video but I will post one with it later tonight.

Picture:
Name:  brdufno.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  69.4 KB
If image is broken here is a link http://imgur.com/brdufno
Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 PM
aaaa1236
1st Gear Member

I have no answers
But for what its worth i think that deep blue looks phenomenal
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Bundleojoy

Ya I literally just got it painted and a few minor body issues fixed on it less than a month ago, and after I fix this last issue its time to make it not so damn slow
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Bundleojoy

And here is a video with the sound. Im looking for any ideas as to what it may be. I will try to get a better video of it when it does the noise again with less wind noise. I had a better one but accidentally deleted it. In this one you can hear the whistle right around 6 seconds into the video. Once again any help with a diagnosis would be fantastic
Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Bundleojoy

Forgot to add the link to my post by accident
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I can barely hear any thing other than wind blowing over your camera mic.

It almost sounds like brake squeal.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah I agree with Dawson. Kinda hard to hear over the wind. Have you thought about taking it to the stealership or maybe a trusted mechanic to see if they can figure it out? BTW welcome to the forums..
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Bundleojoy

Ill try to take it to a dealership, I have just been avoiding it because they want your left nut for anything they do. And the guys I have sent it to the last few times have been family friends and its where we have sent all of our cars regardless of Make for years. But since I have had no luck with them I'm trying forums because I am hoping people have had this problem before. And ya I'm sorry about the video, in order to hear the noise you have to turn your volume up pretty loud. I am just pissed at myself for getting rid of the old video which was 1000x better. And thanks for the welcome.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I heard the noise when I assume the car slowed down, then the wind drowned out any other noise.

Part of it sounds like Brake noise.

Have you done brake work to it? Calipers, Rotors, Pads? Both front and back?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Bundleojoy

Ok, here is a much better quality video. In this video I have turned the engine off and it makes the noise either way. I am not using the brakes until the very end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDLaH...ature=youtu.be

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 mustang GT Whistle