4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

started build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Default started build.

Well its official. i ordered my mmr 1000s assembly a few days ago, hoping it will be here end of next week. Just found a 93 Lincoln mark 8 in the local junkyard so heres hoping it still has the motor in it...or rather the block. Decided to switch to a teksid block. so if anyone is interested ill put up my layout for the build and people can comment and add stuff they think i may need.

So 93-98 teksid block

MMR 5.0 1000s rotating assembly notched pistons .020 over 9.5 compression

melling oil pump, 15/16 pick up tube w/ spacer to get deeper into my 7 quart oil pan.

ARP bolts for the whole block.

thinking about cometic head gaskets, and a standard gasket kit for the rest of the car, maybe i can get some suggestions for the head gaskets?

mmr performance water pump(or maybe just a factory water pump) chime in on this.

full new timing set.

Heads at this point are up in the air based on how much money i have as the weeks go by. If i can ill pay for at least a basic port and polish in which case ill get at least a stage 2 blower cam(should i got with adjustable cam gears? they scare me), and some mid length headers....yes i know lts are the only way to go, but my car sits so low now that ive hit my k member and rubbed my oil pan on speed bumps and what not, so lts hanging below that make me nervous, as it is i may raise the front of my car back up .5 just for safety. So chime in on good mid length headers, or opinions on why somehow the lts wont be so bad lol. This whole paragraph is a wish list at this point.

Now on to the other stuff.

In order for this to do what i want i need to max out my si trim, so since i know ill run into belt slip im starting with an 8 rib swap and an innovators west 10% overdrive crank. with im guessing a 2.8ish sc pullie. That being said i need to upgrade my inter cooler to a 800hp unit from treadstone.

Then onto the tranny 26 spline input upgrade on my t-56 and a dual disk clutch, anyone used these yet? recommendation for which company to go with?

Im sure im forgetting stuff, but i am hoping to do a chassis dyno engine break in, has anyone here done this? Because i would like this to be the best possible engine i can make it and last time my tuner just gave me a base tune and i drove it up, but the motor wasnt brand new. Ive heard some people done run boost at first and what not...chime in please.

Keep in mind i may not be able to do the heads cams and exhaust and i know that will choke the crap out of my motor, but money dictates that. Everything else will be on this set up by spring. If i dont make max power oh well. But at least it will be built to handle the power. So the hope is near 500rwhp without head and cam and exhaust, im sure boost will be 16-18. with heads and what not id be happy with anything at or over 530. because honestly much after that i think id need injectors and consider other fuel upgrades. Currently running 60# injectors twin stealth 340s in a return style system but through factory feed and factory rails.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a nice build ... At least you already know you'll hav belt slip issues
Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Felpro head gaskets will be fine unless you are going 30+psi. As for the clutch I would go with either the Ram RTrack 900 or the McLeod RXT. Cams are way more important than head work if you have to choose an either or.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Stay away from the MMR water pump, a factory pump combined with the 10% od will cool that motor just fine, I run a stock pump and a 10% od along with a fluidyne rad and my car has never gone over 165 even on a 100 degree summer day. your fuel system should be fine. If the car is gonna se ALOT of drag time dual discs aren;t the best choice.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey man hope all goes well for you. When do you think you'll have her done?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well its going to see street time, but i do enjoy going to the strip...why is it dual disks arent good for track? i thought they were great all around, less pedal effort good street manners, and grip like a gorilla, what am i missing? I have a stock radiator for now, wasnt planning on upgrading that yet, should i be? Stock water pump it is.

As for head gaskets, i think its more about future planning than current, not that 30 psi is in the near future, but i always thought when you got up near 20 you need to be aware of this stuff, maybe im wrong?

As far as getting it together, should be spring time. Lots of ot right now. But i have a parts list a mile long, and i already know what the engine adds up to, which is close to 4k in parts, and im not sure that includes machining i cant remember. So needless to say light at the end of the tunnel is a bit far away at this point, even with the purchase of the internals.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

why don't you just sell that little si and buy my ysi, 18% od pulley, 8 rib pulleys, my spare belts and 2.7 rr pulley?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TCStangerv6
why don't you just sell that little si and buy my ysi, 18% od pulley, 8 rib pulleys, my spare belts and 2.7 rr pulley?
ha, thatd be nice. But at this point there is still a higher risk of me running out of money before im finished. Even though it doesnt sound like budget its the best stuff i can buy until i run out of money. I suppose i can keep it in mind though. What are you hoping to get?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
ha, thatd be nice. But at this point there is still a higher risk of me running out of money before im finished. Even though it doesnt sound like budget its the best stuff i can buy until i run out of money. I suppose i can keep it in mind though. What are you hoping to get?
i want 3,200 for eveything. It seems like a lot but its for everything posted above plus the vortech mondo bypass valve. The ysi head unit alone is around 3400 i believe.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

its not alot really, but still probably more than i want to spend right now. That being said, if i could get a good deal on the 8 rib set up minus the 18% dampener, i may consider that, since i know a new set up cost like 600 through vortec, and i know i need that to finish my build. If you decide to split stuff up i may be interested. Not right this second but within the next few months. Since i still have to build the rest of the motor first.

Quick Reply: started build.