4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Engine ticking - bad lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM
CJCuster89
1st Gear Member

Default Engine ticking - bad lifter?

Just wanted some opinions. First off, apparently my oil gauge doesn't work. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a ticking noise coming from the bottom of my engine. I checked the oil, the dipstick was bone dry. Got under the car and somehow the drain plug on the oil pan was loose and I was dripping oil. So I changed it (there was about 1.5 qt's left) but it didnt stop the ticking. The ticking generally doesnt start until the car warms up, really loud and obnoxious from 1st to 4th gear, but pretty much goes away in 5th. I think it's a bad lifter, and no it's not an exhaust leak, i already checked for that. Any other opinions?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you ran it that low on oil, any kind of hard accel could of sucked the pan dry and u could of toasted something in the valve train. Would start at changine the lash adjusters and the followers
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by uberstang1
If you ran it that low on oil, any kind of hard accel could of sucked the pan dry and u could of toasted something in the valve train. Would start at changine the lash adjusters and the followers
Why waste 300$ in parts for a spun bearing in the bottom end. If he was running that motor with 1.5qts in it I wouldnt spend another dime on it
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Bottom end would be worse case scenario but I've seen people get away with worse situations but its worth a shot u can get a set of adjuster in followers out of the junkyard for like $20 theres am abundence if 4.6 2v in all the crown vics and others.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You must enjoy doin jobs over and over again lol. Fix it right first time homie
Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 PM
CJCuster89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
You must enjoy doin jobs over and over again lol. Fix it right first time homie
Well I never attempted to fix it the first time. It just happened lol. But thanks for the advice everyone. Gonna take the valve covers off tomorrow and take a look. I don't think it's a spun bearing. The car drives fine, no loss of power or anything actually. Was kinda hoping it would just blow up so I could collect the insurance money on it.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

You must have good insurance to cover a blown engine in a 14 year old car...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by CJCuster89
Well I never attempted to fix it the first time. It just happened lol. But thanks for the advice everyone. Gonna take the valve covers off tomorrow and take a look. I don't think it's a spun bearing. The car drives fine, no loss of power or anything actually. Was kinda hoping it would just blow up so I could collect the insurance money on it.
i was referring to my man crush with that last comment lol

im just speculating by your original post. you said a ticking from the bottom of the engine. usually valvetrain noise is up top. you may be able to pin-point it easier by using a long screw driver and hold it against your ear. however we cant do anything for you without actually having the car in front of us. i dont want to see you spend money up top end parts if indeed you spun a bearing

Last edited by uberstang1; 12-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:55 PM
CJCuster89
1st Gear Member

Ok so I took the valve covers off and found the problem. The cam chain guide is just loose and rattling around in there. It's like it broke off and it just making a ton of noise. Where should I even start with replacing that? It's on the passenger side of the engine. The driver side is in place and not moving at all.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Going to have to remove the timing cover...

I recommend replacing both guides along with the chain tensioners. Be cautious because the motor could jump time when you remove the tension. Once its replaced, you will have to verify correct timing

Quick Reply: Engine ticking - bad lifter?