4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Failed inspection - odd circumstances

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
jmp13

Default Failed inspection - odd circumstances

Hi All,

This is my first post, I hope it's not poor protocol to ask a question on my first post.

I have a 2002 GT which I had purchased almost exactly 1 year ago. The guy I purchased the car from took it to get inspected (it was due) as a part of the sale. Passed no problem, and he claims it had been passing. He was the original owner, mods were BBK X-pipe with magnaflow cat-back. He says he did no tuning, and I trust him I have no reason to doubt him.

Fast forward to today, I took the car in for an inspection in Collin County TX and it fails. The tech said nearly every sensor reported n/s which he said meant it did not support the function. Cats, o2, a/c, evap, EGR everything was the same result.

His first question was if I had run a tuner to modify the chip, which I have not. Does anyone have any idea what this problem might be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am at a loss.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

That does sound odd, specifaclly if that includes the front o2 sensors. That would cause the car to run poorly. Something sounds off here
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
jmp13

Yes, it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. The car runs fine, exactly like it did when purchased. I know nothing of chip tuners, is it possible I can buy a tuner and correct the issue to pass inspection?

It seems nearly impossible for all these monitors to be out, it literally was all of them.

I am new to self car repair, having dealt with motorcycles in the past and trying to learn more about cars currently. Would a hand held tuner, like the SCT be the right step potentially to passing inspection?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

The computer has been tuned my friend...

I had the same issue last April- went to get car inspected...FAILED the OBll diagnostic check... All Moniters came back as "Not Supported". Which is a clear sign the cars PCM "computer" has been tuned/chipped.

I ended up having to go to my tuner to have I/M Readiness moniters turned back on. I then went back to get car inspected and the moniters went back to ready and I passed.

The person that sold you the car lied about NEVER getting the computer tuned.....
Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Take it to a dealership.... or drive somewhere that they dont do emissions checks(another county). Here in San Antonio you can damn near get an open header car passed.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
jmp13

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
The computer has been tuned my friend...

I had the same issue last April- went to get car inspected...FAILED the OBll diagnostic check... All Moniters came back as "Not Supported". Which is a clear sign the cars PCM "computer" has been tuned/chipped.

I ended up having to go to my tuner to have I/M Readiness moniters turned back on. I then went back to get car inspected and the moniters went back to ready and I passed.

The person that sold you the car lied about NEVER getting the computer tuned.....

Is it worth buying a SCT tuner myself? Will I want to go back and get it changed again after inspection? I would rather buy it myself and do it myself if it seems likely that will resolve the problem.

Did you do this yourself?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

So moral of the story is if you want to do it right, go turbo? Can't wait for some videos of this monster. And races lined up?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Crash are you an idiot? Or just one dumb moteherfukker?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Crash are you an idiot? Or just one dumb moteherfukker?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Take it to a dealership.... or drive somewhere that they dont do emissions checks(another county). Here in San Antonio you can damn near get an open header car passed.
He is failing the on-board diagnostic check.

Quick Reply: Failed inspection - odd circumstances