4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Edge Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default New Edge Help needed.

Hi all hope some of the more seasoned Stang owners can help. I have been a car guy for a lot of years but this my first Mustang. I have an 01 GT with 44k original miles. FR500 Wheel 9.5 with 275/45/17 Toyo Proxies on front, 10.5 with 315/35-17 Summitomo's on rear. so other than cosmetics suspension and drivetrain is stock. I have 2 issues that may not be an issue but seems odd to me for a car with such low mileage. at highway speeds there is a slight vibration which seems driveline related as I can feel it in the shifter(5sp) it's pretty slight but it is there. I would expect smooth as silk. I see that 1 pcs. aluminum drive shafts are a pretty popular item and wonder if this is why but don't understand how Ford can put out a product with this as normal? I just don't want to spend $500 on a drive shaft and why should I. but I will if I have to. also the car rides pretty dam rough but I assume this is what you get with this type of tire package? would love to swap to stock tires just for a test ride to see the difference. is this to be expected of these tires? It would have been a lot easier if I had added them then I would know if it made a difference but I bought the car this way. any feedback would be much appreciated thanks'
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

have the tires balanced. how do they look? i bet you the front tires are choppy on the inside edge, and the whole package is out of balance. Also, if the car has a short throw shifter on it there will be extra vibrations in the handle. Nothing you can do about that. I doubt its a driveshaft
Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Tires are in really good shape. do not doubt that they could be out of balance though. I am a new stang owner and all upgrades were on my care when I bought. so as dumb as it sounds I can not be sure about the short throw shifter.if it has one. I let my Brother inlaw drive it as a comparison to the 94 GT he had bone stock and he seemed to think the throw was shorter than his. the previous owner said he did all upgrades but di not mention changing shifter.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Oh thanks' for reply
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Couple thoughts.

I've had a vibration that would change between off/on throttle. This was due to low transmission fluid. The transmission rear output shaft seal can go bad and leak. Just something to check.

I also have a short throw, Steeda Tri-ax, and it does vibrate more than the stock one. To check this slip the leather shift boot down. The stock is a circular black metal, a Steeda Tri-Ax is a polished rectangular shape.

On the wheels, they could be out of balance or bent. I have bent a bunch of wheels, I currently have both fronts bent I believe. The new edge doesn't have the greatest ride from the factory. The tires you currently have have a taller sidewall than the factory size 245/45/17, so they should ride a touch nicer depending overall stiffness of the tire - taller sidewall means more flex. The tires probably aren't contributing a lot to the ride stiffness over factory. The springs though, those can make a world of difference.