4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How low is too low? Need help with Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation How low is too low? Need help with Springs

Hi everyone!

Need some help with what springs to go with. I really want to get rid of the 4x4 look but the height still has to be good with DD.

I first started to look at the H&R Super Sport Springs for convertibles. Drop around Front - 2.0”, Rear - 1.6”. I started to look around online for reviews and started to second guess myself.

So I started to look at the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for convertibles. Drops Front - 1.3”, Rear - 1.4”.

Any of you having problems with the H&R SS around town. Scraping on speed bumps, etc? Should I go the Eibach Pro-Kit for the best setup on a DD?

Other suspension items getting with the springs:
Bilstein HD - Shock and Struts
J&M Caster Camber Plates
Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
New Ball Joints from Ford
Polyurethane Spring Isolators
Missing anything???

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Are you planning on getting LT's? That will also have to be considered.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I think the UPR Lowering Springs (made by Eibach) are the perfect combo of looks, performance, and ride quality.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I think the UPR Lowering Springs (made by Eibach) are the perfect combo of looks, performance, and ride quality.
After doing all my research on the same exact question I came to the same conclusion. I have a set of these right here on my floor ready to put on but I still need CC plates, a lower car jack and an alignment done before hand.

To answer your question honestly though OP its not going to be very comfortable/streetable when its lowered. I scrape at stock height all the time around Raleigh NC. When I lower it i'm gonna have to be really really careful and will probably slam it from time to time. My mid pipe sticks down 4" below anything else on my car and its drives me UP THE WALL. WHY did Ford make our exhaust so freaking low? It will be damn near dragging the ground once I lower it.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Are you planning on getting LT's? That will also have to be considered.
I don't think I will really touch the headers.

How low do LT's hang down from stock headers?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad

What's the difference between the UPR Lowering Springs and Eibach Pro-Kit Springs? Aren't they the same?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
After doing all my research on the same exact question I came to the same conclusion. I have a set of these right here on my floor ready to put on but I still need CC plates, a lower car jack and an alignment done before hand.

To answer your question honestly though OP its not going to be very comfortable/streetable when its lowered. I scrape at stock height all the time around Raleigh NC. When I lower it i'm gonna have to be really really careful and will probably slam it from time to time. My mid pipe sticks down 4" below anything else on my car and its drives me UP THE WALL. WHY did Ford make our exhaust so freaking low? It will be damn near dragging the ground once I lower it.
Why did you go with the UPR over just getting the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs?

That's crazy that you scrape at even stock height. I really don't have any problems scraping here in Charlotte, NC. Just a couple of speed bumps in neighborhoods but I always take them slow on a angle. Yeah, I don't know what Ford was thinking when they were putting the Mustang together. Its suppose to be a sports car and not a truck. By lowering it I was hoping to bring back some life to my 2000 GT.

Last edited by fastsilverstang; 05-26-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastsilverstang
What's the difference between the UPR Lowering Springs and Eibach Pro-Kit Springs? Aren't they the same?
UPR Pro Series Lowering Spring are made by Eibach to the same specs as their Pro Kit springs, with the same Million Mile Warranty, but we sell ours for about $50 cheaper.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I say go low. I've lowered mine about 1 1/4" and put on a cobra R splitter and in 2 months the splitter has only lightly scraped the bottom once. You just need to pay attention to the road.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sv650lex
I say go low. I've lowered mine about 1 1/4" and put on a cobra R splitter and in 2 months the splitter has only lightly scraped the bottom once. You just need to pay attention to the road.
What springs did you put on your vert?

Quick Reply: How low is too low? Need help with Springs