4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Why is my torque so low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Default Why is my torque so low?

I recently got my saleen series 2 supercharger installed. So I have that with a 2.5 in pulley, bassani catted x pipe, catback, 3.73 gears, 75mm throttle body and comp cams 262 (stage 1). I made 384rwhp and 358rwtq. My question is, isn't the torque really low? Maybe I am just tripping. Either way I just wanted to know what you guys think, thanks.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Im guessing its the cams. Is that a roots type supercharger? Were you expecting the numbers to be closer?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Im guessing its the cams. Is that a roots type supercharger? Were you expecting the numbers to be closer?
Yes it is a roots style blower. I see people with less hp than me make more torque than me. Maybe it is the cams. I was expecting closer to 400 torque or at least 380.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

I would expect the torque to be higher too. How does the intake temps look through out the rpm range?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

whyd you go with the series 2 if you dont mind me asking, 380whp is pretty good number for that little guy
Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yea thats a small supercharger. I believe its a somewhere around 1.5L - 1.7L in displacement. For its time it was a good little blower. Those numbers look normal. The cams wont do much for you in this case. They're mild and so is the motor/blower setup.

How much boost are you running? Did you change spark plugs when you put the blower on? What are your IATs?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:11 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
whyd you go with the series 2 if you dont mind me asking, 380whp is pretty good number for that little guy
It is the cheapest roots style blower I could find. I also wanted to make close to 400rwhp and not much more because I don't want to upgrade the internals.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Yea thats a small supercharger. I believe its a somewhere around 1.5L - 1.7L in displacement. For its time it was a good little blower. Those numbers look normal. The cams wont do much for you in this case. They're mild and so is the motor/blower setup.

How much boost are you running? Did you change spark plugs when you put the blower on? What are your IATs?
Not sure about the boost (should be 10lbs-12lbs). Yes changed spark plugs (forgot exactly which ones but they were platinum ones). Not sure about IATs although I bought this heat shield thing for the supercharger that is supposed to help with the temps because the series II is known to run hot.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Go to a tr6 plug, this is a well proven plug in these cars with blowers. Also, if the iat's are getting too hot, it will kill the torque. What heat exchanger are you running and are you running a reserve water tank?
Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali_Swag
Not sure about the boost (should be 10lbs-12lbs). Yes changed spark plugs (forgot exactly which ones but they were platinum ones). Not sure about IATs although I bought this heat shield thing for the supercharger that is supposed to help with the temps because the series II is known to run hot.
Ok what is important with spark plugs on supercharged cars is something called "heat range." It is exactly what it sounds like.

Platinum/Iridium has nothing to do with that. In fact platinum/iridium spark plugs are a waste of money because they are not engineered to be used in our engines. I can give you the TLDR version if you would like but in short....you need to change back to iridium and make sure it is 1 heat range cooler than the stock style spark plugs.

Stock Heat range is 7. You need heat range 6 plugs.

The two top companies for these plugs are Denso and NGK. Denso is a high quality parks maker for Toyota. NGK is a Japanese ignition company. NGK plugs are more available than Denso though. Both are good quality.

NGK V-Power TR6 are the plugs you need. They are heat range 6 and have nickel alloy tips which our engines were engineered around.\\

If you choose to get Denso plugs the part # is T20EPR-U.

You should gap all plugs at 0.035" for your boost level in our motors.

Also....as far as your boost...if you dont have a boost gauge here is the formula.

(((Supercharger size in liters X *Pulley Ratio) / (Engine displacement in liters / 2)) X 14.7) - 14.7 = Theoretical Boost

*Pulley Ratio = Crank Pulley size / SC Pulley Size (Our Crank Pulleys are 6.5")

For example for me......

Supercharger size = 2.1L
Pulley Ratio = 2.00(6.5" / 3.25")

(((2.1 X 2.00) / (4.6 / 2)) x 14.7) - 14.7 = 12.14 Boost

The one thing about this formula to remember is that it assumes that you have perfect altitude(altitude effects oxygen density in the air).

This formula says I should have 12.14 PSI of boost. I only make 10 PSI. I have a pulley on that should make 9 PSI but I make 1 PSI extra boost because of my CAI and MAF. If I had perfect altitude I would make 12.14 - 13.14 PSI of boost.

Quick Reply: Why is my torque so low?