4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

$/HP

Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 PM
durkinnj

Default $/HP

From what I have gathered, the '99-'04 Mustang GT offers the lowest cost per horsepower for used vehicles in the $5,000-$10,000 range that has at least 200hp and equivalent torque (besides the older Z28s but I dislike that body style completely).

I can pick up a GT here in Ohio for $6,000 dollars and with 260HP that's a $23/HP ratio. This does not include actual whp or weight or wheels/tires or aerodynamics or clutch etc...

If you actually consider power to wheels and weight, there are a lot of vehicles that can compete and may even be a better choice, but most of them are FWD (I much prefer rwd, then awd, then fwd if I have to).

So, with that being said, I want to keep the cost/hp ratio the same and possibly even lower it by throwing on a blower of some sort.

So my question is: Is this the best car for a $/hp build of around 300-400rwhp?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Go buy a Chevy if you wanna play the $ to HP game. 4.6L Mod Ford are made for boost. Also know that your car will be boring if its a bolt on F-Body.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:07 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Is this real life?

If you want a mustang, buy one...if you simply want power per $$ maybe you should look further. You came to a mustang forum to ask if you should buy a mustang...of course thats the answer you can expect to receive.

Bolt on for bolt on a LS1 car will be faster. Its all personal preference. YOU need to make the choice, not us.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Sir I answered your question with my original post. Yes there are better platforms $ for HP on 4 wheels. Most LSx coupe platforms can supply this for you.

If you truly ONLY care about HP per $ you need to get yourself a street bike and go play russian roulette with your livelihood. If you're so broke that you must have this attitude to get a performance vehicle then perhaps you need to rethink your priorities and desires in life.

Truth is there is absolutely no clear cut answer for this question when it comes to 4 wheels. There are too many variables and too many vehicles. Buy what you like and make it yours.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Sir I answered your question with my original post. Yes there are better platforms $ for HP on 4 wheels. Most LSx coupe platforms can supply this for you.

If you truly ONLY care about HP per $ you need to get yourself a street bike and go play russian roulette with your livelihood. If you're so broke that you must have this attitude to get a performance vehicle then perhaps you need to rethink your priorities and desires in life.

Truth is there is absolutely no clear cut answer for this question when it comes to 4 wheels. There are too many variables and too many vehicles. Buy what you like and make it yours.
#bikelife #yolo
Old 06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Just buy a honda put a turbo on it and run like 50 pounds of boost untill it blows up
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Just buy a honda put a turbo on it and run like 50 pounds of boost untill it blows up
So once a week? lol
Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT

So once a week? lol
Yea because its the cool thing to do i guess lmao
Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by durkinnj
From what I have gathered, the '99-'04 Mustang GT offers the lowest cost per horsepower for used vehicles in the $5,000-$10,000 range that has at least 200hp and equivalent torque (besides the older Z28s but I dislike that body style completely).

I can pick up a GT here in Ohio for $6,000 dollars and with 260HP that's a $23/HP ratio. This does not include actual whp or weight or wheels/tires or aerodynamics or clutch etc...

If you actually consider power to wheels and weight, there are a lot of vehicles that can compete and may even be a better choice, but most of them are FWD (I much prefer rwd, then awd, then fwd if I have to).

So, with that being said, I want to keep the cost/hp ratio the same and possibly even lower it by throwing on a blower of some sort.

I picked up my 2000 for $2800 then dropped a grand on exhaust, tires , and misc, stuff. So that is roughly $14/HP Its nice to know I can turn around and sell this car for 5-6k though .
Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by durkinnj
LS1 based car all the way. Mustangs are nice, but they can't match the LS1 on price for power. They are usually pretty close to 300rwp out of the box, you add LT headers, tune and a lid and you will be anywhere from 320-340RWP. Intake and a cam will push you up to that 400RWP range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $/HP