Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
dcall222
 
Join Date: May 2014
Vehicle: 03 mustang gt
Location: kentucky
Posts: 3
Default hate to do this

First off i want to say that i have done some research on this subject and still have my doubts on what to pick which is why im asking the "experts"

for an 02 gt should i go with 373 or 410 gears? Its a 5 speed, i dont plan on super charging and i do mostly city driving

i see a lot of fans for the 410 gears but they also say that you just burn through first and second gear, is this true? Also im not taking it to the strip but i am a fan of stop light to stop light races. i just want to do this right the first time. Also thanks again for any input
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dcall222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
steel pony
4th Gear Member
 
steel pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2012, Mustang, GT
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,260
clark webster xtrapulp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcall222 View Post
First off i want to say that i have done some research on this subject and still have my doubts on what to pick which is why im asking the "experts"

for an 02 gt should i go with 373 or 410 gears? Its a 5 speed, i dont plan on super charging and i do mostly city driving

i see a lot of fans for the 410 gears but they also say that you just burn through first and second gear, is this true? Also im not taking it to the strip but i am a fan of stop light to stop light races. i just want to do this right the first time. Also thanks again for any input
3.55's or 3.73's will be more than adequate
__________________


Mustang Owners - A breed apart!
steel pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,427
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1
Default

4.10s
__________________
Street Car, 4v D1sc, 20psi,viper spec t56, Team Z/ UPR suspension.
SKELETON CREW RACING
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
crash
BrandofPoop
 
crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2001 Mustang Bullitt 04557
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 3,828
Michael D Farrington Flightboy101
Default

4.20's... Nuff said
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

I went with 3.73's but you need to get some good tires or else you will just be spinning. Or maybe I suck at driving lol. Either way don't cheap out on the tires like I did. Sumi's suck!
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
unitedwestang
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2010 4.0L, 2004 GT Saleen Clone
Location: Missouri
Posts: 135
Default

I bought my '04 5-speed with 3.73s already installed. I'm running 295/35/18 Nitto Invos in the rear. I hook up fine with the tires I have. I have never experienced this car with the stock gears. BUT. Starting out driving it with 3.73s, it feels like there is still plenty of room for more gear. I'm very seriously debating going to 4.10s possibly 4.30s. Mine is just for pleasure driving though
unitedwestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Gt04
4th Gear Member
 
Gt04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2004 Mustang Gt Vert
Location: Georgia/White/Gwinnett county
Posts: 1,169
Dannysaccnt
Send a message via AIM to Gt04 Send a message via MSN to Gt04
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Swag View Post
I went with 3.73's but you need to get some good tires or else you will just be spinning. Or maybe I suck at driving lol. Either way don't cheap out on the tires like I did. Sumi's suck!
Sounds like tire/driver mod


To the op 4:10s
__________________

In search of new #s and me to stop being a lazy *** and do some work.
Gt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
crash
BrandofPoop
 
crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2001 Mustang Bullitt 04557
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 3,828
Michael D Farrington Flightboy101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedwestang View Post
I bought my '04 5-speed with 3.73s already installed. I'm running 295/35/18 Nitto Invos in the rear. I hook up fine with the tires I have. I have never experienced this car with the stock gears. BUT. Starting out driving it with 3.73s, it feels like there is still plenty of room for more gear. I'm very seriously debating going to 4.10s possibly 4.30s. Mine is just for pleasure driving though
Having night a car that had 3.73's and then upgrading to 4.10's, the difference is barely noticeable with the exception that 5th is more usable. I debates about 4.30's as well but I couldn't imagine having them with the exhaust set up I have. My rpms while driving on the freeway would be through the roof.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt04 View Post
Sounds like tire/driver mod


To the op 4:10s
yea still trying to figure out how to take off with this supercharger and not spin so badly
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: GA
Posts: 169
Default

4.30's in my na coupe
__________________
2000 GT Spring Edition
Steeda UDP, PRO 5.0, Autometer, UPR, FRPP 4.30 w/31 spline, SFC, SLP Damn money Pit
ESABATM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
02 gt, 373, 410, gears

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup