4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Haven't been here in quite some time. Updates and questions.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default Haven't been here in quite some time. Updates and questions.

Pretty sure my last activity was over 2 years ago. Crazy how time flies.

I've changed a lot about my GT in the past few years, so I figured I'd start a new thread to show it off a little and get some input on my current build plans. Let's start with the car.

Current mods:

JLT ram air intake, BBK 75mm throttle body and plenum, SLP longtubes, SLP o/r X, Borla Stinger cat back, and dyno tune on 91 octane.

Full front brake upgrade with 13" PowerSlot rotors, Bullitt calipers, Hawk HPS pads and stainless lines. This thing stops soooo much better than it did stock.

04 Cobra OEM hood w/ FORE hood vents, 04 Cobra front bumper, Bullitt side scoop deletes, H&R SuperSports w/ 1 iso all around, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, stainless rear inserts, dark smoked head lights, Saleen 1 piece wing, 18x9/18x10 chrome Saleen reps w/ 245 and 295 BFG KDW's. I'm sure I'm missing a few small things, but that's the jist of it.

Current plans: Well, I'm shopping around for a supercharger. Had a deal lined up and sent payment for a Vortech V2 S-trim but long story short, I got a refund and am back to shopping around. I thought about a Kenne Bell, but pretty sure I want to go centri. I've bought and sold a full intercooled Paxton Novi 2k and Tork Tech build without installing either one. I'm still kicking myself for selling the Novi set up.

So here's what I'm looking at doing:

1) ProCharger P1SC. Love the idea of self-contained oil. I have read a few threads with different people saying it's a guarantee that the head unit will leak at some point, no two ways about it. I also read that it will produce less hp at the same psi as other blowers. Anyone have any input on that?

2) Vortech V3. Again, love the self contained oil. I'm not against a V2 S or Si trim, though. Currently I'm looking at a full intercooled Si kit, I'm just waiting on my refund to clear and keep shopping a little.

3) Another Novi 2k. Only problem with this is how scarce they are and I'm pretty sure that Paxton has discontinued the main bracket. I've read of people selling them for 4-600 bucks for just the bracket. That's outrageous.

So...inputs/suggestions/comments/personal experience would definitely help!

Only pic of the car I have since the Bullitt side scoops were painted/installed.

Name:  Mustang-New.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  164.2 KB
Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome bk! You want go wrong with any choices listed above (S/C). What gears are you running?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 AM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Welcome bk! You want go wrong with any choices listed above (S/C). What gears are you running?
Thanks, man! I'm still on the stock 3.27's. I wasn't going to switch them out until I decided which blower I wanted to go with. Over the past 3 years I have bought and sold a complete intercooled Novi 2k and Tork Tech kit without installing either one. I'm still kicking myself in the *** for selling the Novi kit. It was pretty mint and now that's at the top of my "want to run" list.

Another thing to add, though. On another forum I was informed that if I wanted to run over 450whp at any point to avoid a P1-SC and go straight for the D1 from ProCharger. The person that told me that is on a fully built motor and his limiting factor is his P1 head unit. So something else to think about.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Something to think about is keeping the power under 450 with the stock motor
Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Something to think about is keeping the power under 450 with the stock motor
Right. Sorry, I thought I put that in my original post but forgot to. I currently have no plans on building a motor for huge power, so as you said, keeping the power to around 400 to the wheels is what I'm after. However, I will at some point down the road build a motor, so I want something that is going to allow for growth and not limit me to a certain hp level. I was told on another forum that the P1SC is going to limit me to 450 to the wheels, so if I go ProCharger I should just start with the D1 since I would have to upgrade to it in the long run.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I had the same plans, and all they end up doing unless you execute on them, is they will wear you out and you will begin to hate the car.
My advice? Put a 2.1KB on it, some longtubes, and a good tune and a tire. You'll have fun with it for sure.
Why would you want to put a 10k motor into a car that will barely be faster than the new 2015 4cylinder mustang turbos? Eventually reality sits in. Unless you are sitting on a asston of cash, throw a used 2.1KB on it and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I had the same plans, and all they end up doing unless you execute on them, is they will wear you out and you will begin to hate the car.
My advice? Put a 2.1KB on it, some longtubes, and a good tune and a tire. You'll have fun with it for sure.
Why would you want to put a 10k motor into a car that will barely be faster than the new 2015 4cylinder mustang turbos? Eventually reality sits in. Unless you are sitting on a asston of cash, throw a used 2.1KB on it and enjoy the hell out of it.
I have SLP longtubes, so check those off the list.

The price for used 2.1's is kind of crazy in comparison to a centri. I'm currently in touch with a person that has a v3 si intercooled kit, so hopefully that will be happening soon. Just waiting on pictures and a little more info.

I'll put a 20k motor into my car before I buy a 2015. Personal preference, but I am not a fan what-so-ever of the 2015's. I thought about selling my GT for a Cobra or 5.0, but in reality my GT is paid off so why go in debt just to start the modding process all over again? I'm not trying to own the "fastest thing on the road" by any means, I'm just waking my 2v up a little with a centri kit. But, like I said before, I currently have zero plans on building a motor. 400 to the wheels is where I'm going to aim and I'll be happy with anything + or - 20hp. IF I build a motor down the road, I want a head unit that can grow with me.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 PM
PistolPete79
1st Gear Member

i was thinking about a supercharger soon too but leaning toward a kenne bell. i like the idea of getting a new intake and they just look badass too! LOL might be a while though i just had to get new sets of tires and brakes for both my cars
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GThopeful
I have SLP longtubes, so check those off the list.

The price for used 2.1's is kind of crazy in comparison to a centri. I'm currently in touch with a person that has a v3 si intercooled kit, so hopefully that will be happening soon. Just waiting on pictures and a little more info.

I'll put a 20k motor into my car before I buy a 2015. Personal preference, but I am not a fan what-so-ever of the 2015's. I thought about selling my GT for a Cobra or 5.0, but in reality my GT is paid off so why go in debt just to start the modding process all over again? I'm not trying to own the "fastest thing on the road" by any means, I'm just waking my 2v up a little with a centri kit. But, like I said before, I currently have zero plans on building a motor. 400 to the wheels is where I'm going to aim and I'll be happy with anything + or - 20hp. IF I build a motor down the road, I want a head unit that can grow with me.
Oh OK cool....#bestofluck
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Oh OK cool....#bestofluck
Ron this made my day!