4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What's your thoughts on premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
GTTravers508

Default What's your thoughts on premium gas

Drive a 2002 gt v8 4.6l only mods I have are catback exaust bbk Cai and bbk throttle body. Would it be a waste of my money to put premium gas in the tank even though it doesn't call for it? Heard a lot of mixed opinions
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If the car isn't tuned for the extra octane then stick with 87...unless you hear spark knock or some ****in **** ****.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

^^^ This.

You only need to run premium fuel if your engine is tuned for it.

Regardless of what you have heard, octane rating is purely a measure of a fuels ability to resist autoignition. Nothing more. It is NOT a measure of the energy content of the fuel. For spark ignited engines there point in the combustion cycle where the maximum in cylinder pressure occurs produces the most torque (typically around 16 deg. ATDC). See the spark plug actually fires slightly before TDC. That way just after TDC the "explosion" has already started and there is maximum pressure in the cylinder to push the piston down (making maximum power). Because of MANY MANY reasons, most engines are not able to operate at this point and maximum in cylinder pressure occurs after this point.

Once the spark fires and combustion starts, the last area of fuel/air mixture to be consumed is the area around the piston skirt above the rings. This area is called the end gas. If spark timing is set too early in the cycle, in cylinder pressures and temperatures get higher and this end gas has the possibility to autoignite (causing knock). To start this spark earlier (advance the timing) you need the fuel to have more of a resistance to autoignition (higher octane). By starting the spark earlier, you get closer to that maximum output for the engine.

So unless you have a tune which advances spark timing to utilize the extra octane, it is literally doing nothing for you. A reason you hear of race cars running 100+ octane is because this allows them to run a higher compression ratio. Higher octane fuel->higher resistance to autoignition->ability to run higher compression ratio. Since compression ratio is a direct multiplier to the efficiency of the engine, this greatly affects power output of the engine.

So in short. If you're running the stock tune, run 87 octane. If you're running an aftermarket tune, run whatever it calls for and NEVER anything lower.

EDIT: TDC= Top Dead Center

Last edited by unitedwestang; 05-06-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Additionally, though, with the mods you've listed, you may want to consider getting a tune to make the most of what you've got. Bama tunes through Americanmuscle would be perfect for what you have. And its free tunes for life with them if you buy your tuner from them. So if you add anymore mods you just email them and they send you a revised tune.

Last edited by unitedwestang; 10-31-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 AM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

I run premium in mine as I have a canned race tune I run. I would say that I'm fortunate to have an ethanol free station so I get 100% gas so it does allow me to play with the settings.

We the adulterated fuels they vary in alky content from station to station. And with that messing around the the settings would be more difficult. I need to get off my *** and get a dyno tune but for now I believe I have it the best I can get till then.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

I enjoy my 93 SCT "canned" tune which works well and good mileage, 29-32 mpg hwy. I want a MPT 91 performance tune. Maybe for Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails What's your thoughts on premium gas-tn_new-pier-pete-009.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If its not tuned for it, your wasting money just run the 87
Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

i run diesel so i can shut my spark plugs off and save electricity
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 AM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
i run diesel so i can shut my spark plugs off and save electricity
Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 AM
RenGen
Banned

There is a lot of misinformation out there, lots of 'myths' about 'myths' almost makes ya think lies are spread by mechanics so they get more business, but from what I've seen my cars run much better on 89 octane. I won't even get into the fuel system cleaner deal (if you don't believe they help, just take out a spark plug and use a scope to take a pic before and after.)

Also I have noticed many of the people who say "there's not benefit to higher octane" usually run higher octane on their own stock 87 vehicles. Kinda like those parents who tell other people's children "oh community college is just fine" but practically murder others to make sure their own kids get into good colleges. I hate people and society so much.

Last edited by RenGen; 11-20-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Quick Reply: What's your thoughts on premium gas