4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What's your thoughts on premium gas

Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
There is a lot of misinformation out there, lots of 'myths' about 'myths' almost makes ya think lies are spread by mechanics so they get more business, but from what I've seen my cars run much better on 89 octane. I won't even get into the fuel system cleaner deal (if you don't believe they help, just take out a spark plug and use a scope to take a pic before and after.)

Also I have noticed many of the people who say "there's not benefit to higher octane" usually run higher octane on their own stock 87 vehicles. Kinda like those parents who tell other people's children "oh community college is just fine" but practically murder others to make sure their own kids get into good colleges. I hate people and society so much.

There's no myth about it. Its a combination of physics, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. It can be quantitatively determined what is best suited for an engine. The engineers from the factory do this, thus the suggested 87 octane rating for most vehicles from the factory. Anything higher is simply not needed. Plain and simple. No speculation. No mythological engine fairies making your engine run better.

Personally, I would be more worried about the ethanol and other additives in some gasoline than trying to run a higher octane...
Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I will say, however, that on a small percentage of high mileage vehicles it may be necessary to step up an octane grade to avoid ping or knock. Over time a car may develop carbon deposits in the engine effectively increasing the compression ratio and sometimes creating "hot spots" leading to predetonation. This would emit an audible ping or knock. Should this happen you may want to increase octane.

HOWEVER. This increase in octane is only the band aid fix and not the cure of the underlying root cause, and I believe this can be largely avoided by wisely choosing your fuel and proper vehicle care.

Let me be abundantly clear in this: If your vehicle is currently running fine on the recommended octane level from the factory (vast majority of vehicles), and your vehicle is NOT tuned for a higher octane there is no reason your vehicle would see an increase in performance from running higher octane fuel.

Additional point to be made though:
In vehicles equipped with knock sensors, the ecu can advance timing to a certain degree to attain maximum engine output--as it would do in the case of running higher octane. This, on the base level, is what is essentially done in a tune--increase spark advance to account for higher octane fuel. However a stock tune can do this only to an extent and I can only imagine the increase in performance would be minimal if at all noticeable.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, lots of 'myths' about 'myths' almost makes ya think lies are spread by mechanics so they get more business, but from what I've seen my cars run much better on 89 octane. I won't even get into the fuel system cleaner deal (if you don't believe they help, just take out a spark plug and use a scope to take a pic before and after.)

Also I have noticed many of the people who say "there's not benefit to higher octane" usually run higher octane on their own stock 87 vehicles. Kinda like those parents who tell other people's children "oh community college is just fine" but practically murder others to make sure their own kids get into good colleges. I hate people and society so much.
Do you have anything to back any of this up?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Hmmmmm OK?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Cyclone Mustangs

The 3.7 Cyclone DOHC has variable timing and can tell what octane the car is using. Also, the HP changes from 305 with 87 octane to 315 hp with 93 octane.
Attached Thumbnails What's your thoughts on premium gas-tn_charlie-and-cyclone-2014-008.jpg  
Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

My manual specifically states that for the 4.6 v-8, it will run OK on 87 octane, but for best overall performance 91 octaine or higher is recommended.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
My manual specifically states that for the 4.6 v-8, it will run OK on 87 octane, but for best overall performance 91 octaine or higher is recommended.
Cuz race car
Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

i still stand behind my statement on post #8

try that and post results please
Old 11-24-2014, 08:40 AM
wardNM05

there is no point in running 93 unless your car is tuned for 93