4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Speeding ticket what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:58 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
FYI radar dectors are nothing but a money maker scam, then only can pick up once the trigger is activated, and when the trigger is activated guess what..........already got your speed.
Depends how the officer uses the radar. What you describe is instant on, and yeah, your radar detector won't help there as the LEO has already seen you.

Around here though, the CHP don't seem to use their radars that way very often. They seem to just leave them on. I ran into the same practice on my motorcycle in Washington state where I detected a Ka band as I was approaching the crest of a small rise. A few hundred yards later I spotted the trooper parked in the shadow of a big tree on the other side of the road. I was the only vehicle on the road. Had I been speeding I would have been busted for sure, but the radar detector gave a good 1/2 mile heads up to check my speed. I've had many cases like this locally. There's a little pull out around a bend where the CHP will sit with their radar on. You can't see him there 'till it's too late, but my detector will pick him up well before I'm in sight.

Both of my detectors have paid for themselves several times over, so I would respectfully disagree with the sentiment that they are a waste of money.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand

Both of my detectors have paid for themselves several times over, so I would respectfully disagree with the sentiment that they are a waste of money.
I agree 100% I've had the same radar detector for almost 10 years and it's probably saved me 10 or 15 tickets in that time. It was well worth the $200 bucks I spent on it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:18 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Definatly smack a$$es, probably why SP is the only ones allowed to use radar in our state
Old 12-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Before u can even sign a unit out here u have to verify its within date otherwise it wont even get on the road.
Same policy for us. One of our bordering counties made the mistake of sending out expired equipment and lost their privileges for a couple years.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man just pay the ticket....
Old 12-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Man just pay the ticket....
This.

Pay to play dude. I speed basically every time I drive in every car I own. I can't even make it to the gas station 3 miles up the road from me without hitting 65 (55mph posted limit). It is what it is.... Anyway, I usually get nailed about every 2 years; pay the fine and do the stupid online traffic school so it doesn't go on my record and jack up my insurance. Never fought a ticket because the honest truth is every one of them was well deserved. That said, I can't get caught speeding again until next June when I will again be eligible for traffic school.

Like others mentioned, never answer the "do you know how fast you were going" query. If you lie and try to say you thought you were doing the speed limit or come up with some number you think is reasonable that will just insult the officer's intelligence and he will cut you no slack - he knows exactly how f'n fast you were going. And if you admit out loud what your speedo read, that puts the officer in a place where he's pretty much obligated to write down that number. Probably best to reply by asking something like "what did you have me at, officer?". Put the ball back in his court and most of the time they will bump it down for you.

As an alternate solution to all of this, if you don't like speeding tickets then just follow the speed limit.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Quick update. Got the ticket reduced by the guy my dad knows to a 60 in a 55. Its paid and won't effect my insurance.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arrickh
Quick update. Got the ticket reduced by the guy my dad knows to a 60 in a 55. Its paid and won't effect my insurance.
Good deal, congrats!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Good deal, congrats!
Yup learned a lesson too. Going fast isn't worth my $200 and stress!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Nor is it worth a 5 page thread full of cops and men in the service.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket what should i do?